Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com> on 2017/04/05 17:06:12 UTC

Default key size

HI Mike, all,

Re 2: Talk about adjustment of default key size
Why is that absurd? You believe it is too long/too short?
Following JIRA issue may be of interest:

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
OFBiz based solutions & services

OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/

Re: Default key size

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
You might consider: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-8230

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
OFBiz based solutions & services

OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/

Re: Default key size

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
It has been decided to remove localpostnew. I'll not ask to put it back. The majority does not want it, even if renamed localpostText I guess.

Jacques

Le 06/04/2017 � 17:58, Mike a �crit :

Re: Default key size

Posted by Mike <mz...@gmail.com>.

Re: Default key size

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Scott;

Re: Default key size

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Mike,

OK then use the big gun. I have also crossed something similar in a project. I implemented a way to extend PKs w/o changing OOTB lengths, see

The idea is you want to extend only some PKs lengths (not all as when forcing in field types files) and you don't want to change anything in OOTB
code, for easier maintenance reason.

Most of the time it's easy, but beware of PKs dependencies in the data model, anyway OFBiz will tell you...

HTH

Jacques

Le 06/04/2017 � 07:34, Mike a �crit :

Re: Default key size

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
+1

Thanks Paul,

Michael

Re: Default key size

Posted by Paul Mandeltort <pa...@marcospec.com>.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Data+Model+Diagrams <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Data+Model+Diagrams>
Print these up and frame them, I wish I had found them earlier in my OFbiz journey. Will quickly show you how everything fits together. My greatest regret was not finding them sooner. They’re a little dated but still 95% accurate especially for getting going.

Good place to store UPC information is here:
https://demo-stable.ofbiz.apache.org/catalog/control/EditProductGoodIdentifications?productId=GZ-1000 <https://demo-stable.ofbiz.apache.org/catalog/control/EditProductGoodIdentifications?productId=GZ-1000>

Then you can use an arbitrary schema for your top-level product catalog which is always a good idea.

I suggest avoiding modifying the core data model if at all possible to protect yourself down the road for upgrades. It’s pretty easy to paint yourself into a corner if you start modifying that stuff unnecessarily.

—P

Re: Default key size

Posted by Mike <mz...@gmail.com>.

Re: Default key size

Posted by Paul Mandeltort <pa...@marcospec.com>.

Re: Default key size

Posted by Mike <mz...@gmail.com>.

Re: Default key size

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxsystems.com>.

Re: Default key size

Posted by Mike <mz...@gmail.com>.

Re: Default key size

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Later we commonly decided http://markmail.org/message/op2yl3pcbj3lgxpg to revert some changes in the new (merged) localpostgres

Re: Default key size

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks you for the clarification, Mike.

Best regards,

Pierre

Re: Default key size

Posted by Mike <mz...@gmail.com>.

Re: Default key size

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
I think that the root of the problems here is to store information in the
id fields (e.g. productId).
It would instead be better to let the system generate a unique id and then
store the more meaningful identifiers (e.g. UPC for products) in separate
entities or fields (e.g. GoodIdentification for products,
PartyIdentification for parties etc...).
If the id fields are simply used to store a unique identifier then the
current size will not be a problem.
I know that the (seed and demo) data we release are misleading because they
suggest information should be stored in the ids and similarly most of the
applications (where for example, we have several search forms to search by
product id or input fields for the productId) and I wish we will slowly
improve them to provide a better implementation that hides the db ids to
the user by implementing a better UX.

Jacopo