Posted to jdo-dev@db.apache.org by Craig Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM> on 2005/08/30 22:46:06 UTC

Re: Typos in spec dtd

Javadogs,

Michelle found a couple of typos in the DTDs.

Here are the fixes:

<fixed>
<jdo>
<!ELEMENT property (extension*, (array|collection|map)?, join?,
embedded?, element?, key?, value?, order?, column*, foreign-key?,
index?, unique?, extension*)>
</jdo>
<orm>
<!ELEMENT property (extension*, (join?, element?, key?, value?,
order?, column)? , extension*)>
</orm>
</fixed>
On Aug 29, 2005, at 8:31 PM, Michelle Caisse wrote:

> Hi Craig,
>
> My vim syntax highlighter shows up a few problems with the dtd in
> the spec:
>
> [dtd] New ) between last extension and *:
> <!ELEMENT property (extension*, (array|collection|map)?, join?,
> embedded?, element?, key?, value?, order?, column*, foreign-key?,
> index?, unique?, extension)*)>
>
> [orm] Extra ) after column (unchanged since last version):
> <!ELEMENT property (join?, element?, key?, value?, order?,
> column)? , extension*)>
>
> -- Michelle

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: Typos in spec dtd

Posted by Abe White <aw...@solarmetric.com>.
> Could you please suggest what the semantics of mapping a single field
> to multiple columns means? Are you thinking of a multi-column foreign
> key usage for references (relationships) or do you see it applying to
> primitive values as well?

Certainly multiple columns are needed for compound foreign keys.  But
being able to define multi-column mappings is also important to vendors
who allow their users to create custom mappings.  For example, one of
Kodo's custom mapping samples maps a java.awt.Point to two columns --
one for the X coordinate and one for the Y coordinate.  I don't think
the DTD should make expressing mappings like that unnecessarily
difficult.

Re: Typos in spec dtd

Posted by Craig Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Abe,

Thanks for your comments. I'm happy to put column* into both.

Could you please suggest what the semantics of mapping a single field
to multiple columns means? Are you thinking of a multi-column foreign
key usage for references (relationships) or do you see it applying to
primitive values as well?

Thanks,

Craig

Re: Typos in spec dtd

Posted by Abe White <aw...@solarmetric.com>.

Re: Typos in spec dtd

Posted by Craig Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Javadogs,

Apparently not quite fixed.

1. Why multiple columns in the jdo version of property? I think it
should be a single optional "column?".

2. Why not multiple columns in the orm version? I think one is enough.

3. Why no foreign-key, index, unique in the orm version? I think
these are missing and should be added.

4. Why the parentheses around join?, element?, key?, value?, order?,
column in the orm version? Might be because column used to be
column*, but other than that, I think it should be simpler.

What about other opinions?

Craig