Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com> on 2015/06/04 02:29:44 UTC

Contents of the Gazornenplatz file

When you and I speak about the format and content of the GAZORNENPLATZ file, I am reminded of my commercial contract work for software support companies. I write the legal agreement itself, of course, but then I tell them that the details of the project require a "Statement of Work" (SOW) that they must write themselves.

You probably write literate and useful SOWs. The rest may hire me as a litigation attorney someday. The same can be said of the contents of a GAZORNENPLATZ (or NOTICE) file.

I sent this to legal-discuss@ on 5/18:

***************************

Contents of the NOTICE File

The NOTICE file that accompanies every formal distribution of software by an Apache project identifies each third-party component in that software and the open source or Creative Commons license under which that component is available to the public. The following information, if available, will also be included in the NOTICE file:

* Copyright notices supplied by the licensor(s) of any part of the software. Apache project teams may elect to remove individual copyright notices that detract from the "community" ethos of the project, but individual copyrights will still be protected by a legally-effective and encompassing copyright notice such as "Copyright (C) 2015 The Apache Software Foundation."

* Patent notices identifying specific patents or patent claims that may read on the software. Contributors and all project team members are expected to disclose any patent claims of which they are aware. In the event that possible patent claims may be confidential, the contributor must disclose enough about them to alert the public about possible future encumbrances.

* Identification of industry standards implemented by the software.

* Apache projects and contributors may also include acknowledgement and attribution to individuals, companies or other organizations for significant portions of the software or its documentation, or who contributed in other ways to the project as a whole.

* Other important notices that the Apache project team or its contributors want to share with the downstream users of that software.

To this I would add a policy statement relating to SPDX notices. I am waiting for an SPDX expert to recommend that policy for Apache.

/Larry