Posted to kato-spec@incubator.apache.org by Steve Poole <sp...@googlemail.com> on 2009/07/02 07:52:23 UTC

JSR Early Draft Review - agreeing form and contents

For the upcoming EDR  I'm proposing that the form will be  a  introduction
document and the javadoc for the API.

We now need to agree a few things to do with what we consider to be in the
API so far.

 I'm quite happy for the introduction document to explain what is yet to
come  or could change : so I just want to determine what we do agree on.

*Questions*

1 - Do we agree that the API portion that provides an abstraction of  the
Java Runtime (org.apache.kato.java) is relevent and  should be be included
in the EDR?

2 - Do we agree that the API portion that provides an abstraction of  a
process  (org.apache.kato.image) is relevent and  should be be included in
the EDR?

3 - Do we agree that the API portion that provides a central registry of
implementations (org.apache.kato) is is relevent and  should be be included
in the EDR?

4 - There is a potential relationship between the Java Runtime and the
underlying process.  This relationship is currently built into the API (ie
many of the Java runtime classes can return an ImagePointer)
Do we want to remove this overt relationship for the EDR?

5 - The packages need to be renamed to suit the JSR proposal.  The API
prefix will be  javax.tools.diagnostics     Do we agree that that we will
simply rename org.apache.kato and subpackages to match?

6 - We have not closed on the error handling model discussions.    Do we
agree to go with what we have currently defined for the EDR (ie that checked
exceptions can be thrown when data is missing or corrupted) and just mention
that it may change?

*Volunteers needed*

We've created some simple wiki pages to record comments. These pages start
here http://incubator.apache.org/kato/site/javadoc-comments.html

We need help from you all, to proof read what exists today and what we write
for the EDR.  We also need volunteers to help write  the introduction
document and the javadoc for the API.

Finally ,   I keep talking about javadoc  and by this I mean the  comments
in the source code - currently exposed as html pages using the javadoc tool.
   I am going to see if we can use the doxygen tool to create an alternative
view of the doc.  I'd like to be able to provide a single downloadable pdf
of the  intro and API specification for the EDR.

Cheers

Steve

Re: JSR Early Draft Review - agreeing form and contents

Posted by Steve Poole <sp...@googlemail.com>.
Excellent!  Thanks Konst.

Posted by "Bobrovsky, Konstantin S" <ko...@intel.com>.
Hi Steve, all