Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au> on 2009/07/16 01:43:16 UTC

Class Loading issues

Hi Michael,

I stumbled across your paper on Class Loading issues in RMI and Jini,
I'm on the River dev mailling list, I'm wondering if I may upload your
paper to JIRA or our Wiki so we can follow up on your findings?

Regards,

Peter Firmstone.

Re: Class Loading issues

Posted by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au>.
How about something totally different?

A codebase lookup service perhaps? Given a class name, serialVersionUID
and class file checksum it can return a list of URL's registered as
providing that service and containing that class and return a new
checksum if the class file has been updated in a compatible manner, a
lookup table could be provided and another service to propagate updated
class file checksums relevant to a particular class name and
serialVersionUID between codebase lookup services.

A classfile checksum would need to be generated for each class (when?)
and sent with the marshalled object, instead of a list of codebase URL's

A background process might also check the currently loaded class files
periodically for updates, and update it? How could this be done?

Class file caching proxy's could also register as codebases with the
lookup service, in order to reduce remote network traffic and preserve
class files when codebases are down?

I'd be interested in what Dennis Reedy has to say about QOS?

Also posted to Jira

Cheers,

Peter.

Re: Class Loading issues