Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by zeroeffect <g....@gmail.com> on 2013/04/17 13:43:01 UTC

Solr Example, Multi Word Search issue

Version 4.2.0
collection1 example

I currently have indexed over 1.5 million html files, with more to come.

Here is an issue I am running into, if I search the word mayor I get a great
list of results.

Now if I search the word bing I get results. Searching the words together
"mayor bing" with out quotes I get zero results returned, in fact nothing
happens the pages just spins waiting for a response, then never gets one.

If I leave the quotes I get a response showing no results and that is true
those have not been archived.

I am lost as to why it hang when searching those two terms together.
Shouldn't I get results for both words even if they are not both in a
document?

Thanks for your guidance.

ZeroEffect

Re: Solr Example, Multi Word Search issue

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>.
Hi

You probably AND them by default.  Look at your mm value of default boolean
operator setting in solrconfig.xml

http://search-lucene.com/?q=mm+default+boolean+operator&fc_project=Solr

Otis
Solr & ElasticSearch Support
http://sematext.com/

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
How are you searching? From WebUI Admin or from a client? If from a
client, check number of rows being returned. For example SolrNet asks
for 20000 rows unless overruled (to force you being explicit about
your paging), so you could be stuck on results
serialization/deserialization. Try searching in WebUI and enable Debug
flag for more details.

In terms of actual searches, there is several things that could play together.
1) The default search I believe is OR rather than AND, so you might be
getting documents with _either_ of the terms
2) You don't say what type of search parse you are using. Have a read
of eDisMax and its parameters, it has a lot of tuning options
3) TextField types need to be explicitly enabled to support phrase
searches. This might be part of an issue. I believe example schema
demonstrates that.

Hopefully this helps with the next step.

Regards,
   Alex

at once. Lately, it doesn't seem to be working.  (Anonymous  - via GTD
book)