Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2023/01/24 16:54:47 UTC

Quick update and Happy new Year!

Hi!

sorry for having been silent those last weeks, I had a lot on my
(personal and professional) plate :-)

First I wish you all an happy new year!

A quick update on what I'm working on:
- Password Policy: slow progress, but I'm first documenting all, so it
takes a bit of time. Bottom line, I have created a specific Interceptor
to handle the PP, instead of having it mixed with the Authentication
Interceptor. Simpler and a good separation of concern.
- I have also updated the LDAP API to contain the related Schema updates
(a couple of new AttributeTypes declared in the latest PP draft - V11)
- I also realised that we are far from being optimal when processing
incoming requests in the server: we *always* parse DN, and this is
killing the performances. The idea is to leverage the DnFactory instead
of doing a newDN( 'blah' ), which may save a lot of CPU. The pb is that
the request parsing is done in the LDAP API, so I moved the DnFactory to
the LDAP API in order to leverage it. I'll come back with the
performance gain once it works.

That's it for this new year on my side, I wish I can dedicate more time
to the project, and that may be possible :-)

Have fun !
--
*Emmanuel Lécharny - CTO* 205 Promenade des Anglais – 06200 NICE
T. +33 (0)4 89 97 36 50

Re: Quick update and Happy new Year!

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sh...@gmail.com>.
> On Jan 24, 2023, at 10:54 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
> sorry for having been silent those last weeks, I had a lot on my (personal and professional) plate :-)
>
> First I wish you all an happy new year!

Back at you, HNY!

> A quick update on what I'm working on:
> -

> Password Policy: slow progress, but I'm first documenting all, so it takes a bit of time. Bottom line, I have created a specific Interceptor to handle the PP, instead of having it mixed with the Authentication Interceptor. Simpler and a good separation of concern.
> - I have also updated the LDAP API to contain the related Schema updates (a couple of new AttributeTypes declared in the latest PP draft - V11)
> - I also realised that we are far from being optimal when processing incoming requests in the server: we *always* parse DN, and this is killing the performances. The idea is to leverage the DnFactory instead of doing a newDN( 'blah' ), which may save a lot of CPU. The pb is that the request parsing is done in the LDAP API, so I moved the DnFactory to the LDAP API in order to leverage it. I'll come back with the performance gain once it works.
>

> That's it for this new year on my side, I wish I can dedicate more time to the project, and that may be possible :-)
>
> Have fun !

Good to hear, thanks for the update. Will we be seeing releases soon?  Which ones?  Speaking of, looks like Colm’s preparing a new release in Kerby.

Lots of work by Brian and friends in Scimple, no word from them on when their first release will be.  Brian?

I’m planning on holding off on Fortress release until Springtime. During that time would like to get the RBAC accelerator code (client side) moved into directory, before the code begins to rot.

—
Shawn

Re: Quick update and Happy new Year!

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

On 25/01/2023 14:39, Shawn McKinney wrote:

>> On Jan 24, 2023, at 10:54 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi!
>> sorry for having been silent those last weeks, I had a lot on my (personal and professional) plate :-)
>>
>> First I wish you all an happy new year!
>
> Back at you, HNY!
>
>> A quick update on what I'm working on:
>> -
>
>> Password Policy: slow progress, but I'm first documenting all, so it takes a bit of time. Bottom line, I have created a specific Interceptor to handle the PP, instead of having it mixed with the Authentication Interceptor. Simpler and a good separation of concern.
>> - I have also updated the LDAP API to contain the related Schema updates (a couple of new AttributeTypes declared in the latest PP draft - V11)
>> - I also realised that we are far from being optimal when processing incoming requests in the server: we *always* parse DN, and this is killing the performances. The idea is to leverage the DnFactory instead of doing a newDN( 'blah' ), which may save a lot of CPU. The pb is that the request parsing is done in the LDAP API, so I moved the DnFactory to the LDAP API in order to leverage it. I'll come back with the performance gain once it works.
>>

>> That's it for this new year on my side, I wish I can dedicate more time to the project, and that may be possible :-)
>>
>> Have fun !
>
> Good to hear, thanks for the update. Will we be seeing releases soon, which ones?

Soon, not sure. I really have to review the whole PasswordPolicy
handling, because there is an issue in it: we break the transaction
barrier somewhere, leading to inconsistent databases. So it's critical.

  Speaking of, looks like Colm’s preparing a new release in Kerby.

Yep, can't wait to vote it :-)

> Lots of work by Brian and friends in Scimple, no word from them on when their first release will be.  Brian?

Indeed! I see soooo many commits...

> I’m planning on holding off on Fortress release until Springtime. During that time would like to get the RBAC accelerator code (client side) moved into directory, before the code begins to rot.

It can't rot ;-) May be improve, like good cheese !

> Trying to keep the ball rolling!

Same here. And btw, I mentionned a nice optimisation that I have just
applied. And _of course_ it broke the server. But not because of the
optimisation, but because of a very nasty bug in the way we process DN
depending on the fact they are schema aware or not... Something I have
already fixed in one part of the LDFAP API, but not in this case :-)

Will fix it tomorrow...

That's good to be back to code !

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>.