Posted to pluto-user@portals.apache.org by Jacek Palka <ja...@ifsworld.com> on 2004/02/17 12:24:30 UTC

Sharing data between portlets

Hi,

I'm currently trying to re-implement our portal solution to be compatible
with JSR 168 specification and I run into a problem. All the portlets
included in our application share some common behavior. To support it I have
to perform some actions, like generate some JavaScript code or cookies, both
before the first portlet residing on a portal page is run, but also after
the last one has been executed.

The code should be generated only once for the entire page, not for each
portlet - all the portlets share the functionality and cookies.
I could do this from inside the first and the last portlet respectively, but
I can't make the portlets aware about each other in any way.
I could solve the problem if I could store data (attribute/parameter) in
scope of the current request to the portal page or the application, but it
seems to be impossible. I can't use the session object, because it's scope
is to wide - several requests, but also different browser windows that can
share the same session.

Anyone who can contribute with ideas?

Regards, Jacek Palka
IFS World AB