Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Houman Moshtagh <de...@yahoo.de> on 2002/09/09 09:39:15 UTC

SOAPAction Header, What is it?

Hello,

I don't understand the SOAPAction Header.  As far as I understood, it will execute an Action an soon as the message is received.
I have also found out that SOAPAction Header was more important in SOAP 1.1 since in SOAP 1.2 it seems to be optional.

But somehow this information is not enough for me.  What is it exactly, and why do I need one?

Why don't use the "AXIS made" WSDL files a SOAPAction Header and MS Soaptoolkit always use a SOAPAction header?

Thanks
Houman

---------------------------------
Gesendet von http://mail.yahoo.de.
Möchten Sie mit einem Gruß antworten? http://grusskarten.yahoo.de.

Re: SOAPAction Header, What is it?

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
> I don't understand the SOAPAction Header.  As far as I understood, it will
execute an Action an soon as the message is received.
> I have also found out that SOAPAction Header was more important in SOAP
1.1 since in SOAP 1.2 it seems to be optional.

> But somehow this information is not enough for me.  What is it exactly,
and why do I need one?

its a historical thing. The idea was if you put your action in the header
you could see at a glance what the requested action was without parsing the
XML payload. But as you have to do that anyway, and you need to verify that
the action in the payload equals that in the header, its just a redundant
complication.

> Why don't use the "AXIS made" WSDL files a SOAPAction Header and MS
Soaptoolkit always use a SOAPAction header?

I think the SOAPAction header is optional in 1.1; completely gone from 1.2,
but could be wrong there.