Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Fe...@thomson.com on 2006/06/06 15:57:49 UTC

CForms: leading spaces dissapearing

I have a text field in a CForm, and when it is submitted, the leading
spaces

in the text dissapear.

I am using Cocoon 2.1.8

Is there any way to disable this behavior?

Thanks

Re: CForms: leading spaces dissapearing

Posted by Jason Johnston <co...@lojjic.net>.
Bruno Dumon wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 08:01 -0600, Jason Johnston wrote:
>> Antonio Gallardo wrote:
>> FWIW I think this might best be implemented in the Convertor layer, that
>> seems most appropriate for converting untrimmed strings to trimmed and
>> vice versa.  A PlainStringConvertor for instance would keep
>> leading/trailing whitespace intact.  WDYT?
>>
>> If Fernando doesn't want to create a patch I will do so since this has
>> annoyed me in the past as well.
>
> Cool!
>
> If you do it on the convertor layer, it would mean that every convertor
> needs to handle whitespace for itself. For example, a date field
> containing just a space would currently be treated as an empty input,
> while otherwise it would be up to the date convertor to detect this.
> This probably isn't a huge problem, a simple trim() and empty string
> check at the start of the existing convertors could solve this.
>
> If you go for the convertor approach, I would suggest to make the
> default string convertor configurable, instead of creating multiple
> convertors.
>
> For example, using a whitespace attribute that could have the following
> values:
>
> whitespace="preserve|trim|trim-left|trim-right"
>
> and possibly a trim-if-all-whitespace attribute to force trimming in
> case the input contains only whitespace.

FYI I just opened issue http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON-1879
and attached a patch.  I ended up going with your recommendation for a
whitespace="" attribute on fd:field rather than doing it in the
convertors; it's definitely the simpler approach, and less of a hassle
to maintain.

--Jason

Re: CForms: leading spaces dissapearing

Posted by Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>.

Posted by Jason Johnston <co...@lojjic.net>.
Antonio Gallardo wrote:
> Fernando.Matomira@thomson.com escribió:
>> OK. I think I found it in Field.java, where it does
>>
>> newEnteredValue = newEnteredValue.trim();
>>
> Hi Fernando,
>
> Great you found it! You should can create a patch to optionally
> configure leading spaces and keeping the former behavior as the default
> behavior. WDYT?

FWIW I think this might best be implemented in the Convertor layer, that
seems most appropriate for converting untrimmed strings to trimmed and
vice versa.  A PlainStringConvertor for instance would keep
leading/trailing whitespace intact.  WDYT?

If Fernando doesn't want to create a patch I will do so since this has
annoyed me in the past as well.

RE: CForms: leading spaces dissapearing

Posted by Fe...@thomson.com.
This is a tool that performs edit operations onto multiple documents at the same time.
I have a field to append text to a selected section of the documents.
If the user does not want the new text to be stuck immediately
after the existing one, he needs to start the append text with a space
or other separator, like a comma, depending on the case.

> OK. I think I found it in Field.java, where it does
>
> newEnteredValue = newEnteredValue.trim();

Hi Fernando,

Great you found it! You should can create a patch to optionally
configure leading spaces and keeping the former behavior as the default
behavior. WDYT?

BTW, I wonder why you need to keep leading spaces. Can you explain your
use case?

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.