Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Sagar Khetkade <sa...@hotmail.com> on 2009/03/06 06:34:22 UTC

Distributed Search in multcore scenario.

Hi,

I have multi-core scenario where the schemas are different and I have to search for these cores as per the use case. I am using distributed search approach here for getting the search results for the query from these cores.
But there is an obstacle. I have used EmbbededSolrServer class of Solrj  for getting the solr server. As I have to pass the shardes  in the from of URL to the CommonHttpServer which I am unable to pass( as I am not using the HTTP approach). Instead I have tried shards as the server instance for the multi-core which I giving me error as  “Invalid uri 'http:// core0/select': Invalid authority”.
Can anybody suggest me the right approach having distributed search using multi-core scenario as well as the EmbedderSolrServer.

Thanks and Regards,
Sagar Khetkade
How fun is this? IMing with Windows Live Messenger just got better.
http://www.microsoft.com/india/windows/windowslive/messenger.aspx

Re: Distributed Search in multcore scenario.

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 11:04 AM, Sagar Khetkade
<sa...@hotmail.com>wrote:

> I have multi-core scenario where the schemas are different and I have to
> search for these cores as per the use case. I am using distributed search
> approach here for getting the search results for the query from these cores.

Distributed search does not work with different schemas. It works when all
shards have same schema but different data. Note that it need not be the
same schema but the fields being used for querying/fetching should be
present on all shards.

> But there is an obstacle. I have used EmbbededSolrServer class of Solrj
>  for getting the solr server. As I have to pass the shardes  in the from of
> URL to the CommonHttpServer which I am unable to pass( as I am not using the
> HTTP approach). Instead I have tried shards as the server instance for the
> multi-core which I giving me error as  “Invalid uri 'http://core0/select': Invalid authority”.
> Can anybody suggest me the right approach having distributed search using
> multi-core scenario as well as the EmbedderSolrServer.

Distributed search uses HTTP to communicate with other shards. Therefore,
you need some way to expose solr as a URL. You'd need to build some sort of
an http layer on top of embedded solr server.

I wouldn't use EmbeddedSolrServer for distributed search. I suggest that you
use a proper solr installation.

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.