Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by robert lazarski <ro...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/18 17:06:59 UTC

Hardware load balancer

Hi all,

I have tomcat and the acegi framework working just fine processing http and
https requests. However, we put a load balancer in front of the server under
test, and it no longer works:

1) The request without the load balancer forwards to
https://myserver.net/public/index.jsp , but with the web server it forwards
to just https://myserver.net/ . It then gets into a redirect loop for about
10 times to / . What I think is happening is there is no http session, which
acegi needs.

2) If I type https://myserver.net/public/index.jsp into the browser url , it
also loops on public/index.jsp . Same affect, no http session.

I posted the question to the acegi list, and the reply from one of the
developers is the loadbalancer is probably acting like a reverse proxy and I
need to configure tomcat to redirect the requests:

http://forum.springframework.org/showthread.php?t=37553

The load balancer is a loadmaster LMI-1500, which the docs describe as:

"Putting a LoadMaster or a SSL-Master in front of these web servers and
terminating the
SSL session, thus sending the traffic as regular HTTP to the servers
relieves the servers
of the CPU-intensive cryptographic functions. Using a LoadMaster also allows
the
ability to do cookie persistence, since the LoadMaster will see the
unencrypted traffic
and will be able to make persistence decisions based on cookies."

I'm trying to digest what all this means. Any help appreciated.
Robert