Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Laxmi Narayan <ni...@gmail.com> on 2017/04/25 01:50:19 UTC

any way to get 20k request/seconds in tomcat

Hi ,

I am looking to get some 20k or above response in tomcat.

I am not able to find out best combination for that.

My servlet will return just "hello-world" response.

Keep learning keep moving .....

Re: any way to get 20k request/seconds in tomcat

Posted by Suvendu Sekhar Mondal <su...@gmail.com>.
Laxmi,

On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 7:20 AM, Laxmi Narayan <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> I am looking to get some 20k or above response in tomcat.
>
> I am not able to find out best combination for that.
>
> My servlet will return just "hello-world" response.
>

> Keep learning keep moving .....

It is hard to answer your question as you did not mentioned any
details about your current Tomcat config and what throughput you are
getting.

You mentioned that your servlet will be very simple, that means it
really comes down to the concurrency part. For a starter, you can try
to bump up the thread pool size. Still I do not think there is a
single switch by turning on which you can get the high throughput.
IMO, it can only be achieved through repeated "measure, change,
measure" approach. Because it is not only Tomcat configuration, you
need to take other things like heap sizing, GC policy, OS, Network and
hardware settings into consideration.

You can go through:
https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/config/  <<specially
Connectors settings
https://tomcat.apache.org/articles/performance.pdf
http://techblog.netflix.com/2015/07/tuning-tomcat-for-high-throughput-fail.html

Thanks!
Suvendu

Re: any way to get 20k request/seconds in tomcat

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 25/04/17 02:50, Laxmi Narayan wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> I am looking to get some 20k or above response in tomcat.
>
> I am not able to find out best combination for that.
>
> My servlet will return just "hello-world" response.

You'll get that with the default configuration on remotely decent hardware.

For example, I get > 40k request/sec testing with 9.0.x trunk against
http://localhost:8080/examples/ with ab on my 4 year old laptop (4 core
Intel i7 2.6 GHz).

In most cases, by far the largest percentage of the request processing
time is spent in application code. Tuning that is usually where the most
gains are to be found.

If you have a very low overhead application (with a lot of static
content then there may be some mileage in tuning the static content
handling but I suspect in that case you'll hit network limits first.

Mark