Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Chris K Chew <ch...@fenetics.com> on 2002/10/24 05:34:50 UTC

RE: Don't port or backport or upgrade between 2's (WAS: [POLL RESULTS] Which version of Turbine are you using?)

>Rodney:
>> My opinion is that I (as a user) would never touch such a thing -- my
>> 2.1 and 2.2 apps would continue to run on those platforms and any new
>> apps or apps I am extending would get ported to the new platform. But
>> that is only my opinion... how do 2.x users feel about this idea?
>
>+1

Yeah, it seems like an awful lot of trouble to move from one stable version
to another equally stable version when the only difference is a bunch of
return types, include paths, and a partial decoupling of components you
can't in all honesty do without.

Isn't maintaining old branches and developing new branches how kernel
development works?  After all, going from 2.X to a 2.5 kernel is kind of
troublesome on a production box.  And the kernel is the poster-child for
community software, it is a darn successful project.  Or even glibc:  Some
Unix machines are still running libc5 because they work great and there was
no need to update to glibc2.  In fact, you pretty much can't upgrade without
reinstalling most everything on the machine.  Once the word got around,
these incompatibilities became non-issues in the face of the higher
potential of the new code.

I say that all efforts are put towards a unified v4-summit-thing and assign
people to fix the few bugs that are found in the 2.x's and 3's, and people
stay there so long as the framework does everything they require.

Chris