Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2007/10/04 15:15:17 UTC

[Jakarta Wiki] Update of "Using LGPL'd code" by HenriYandell

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Jakarta Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by HenriYandell:
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta/Using_LGPL'd_code

The comment on the change is:
Removing this page and replacing with a link to the 3rd party draft.

  == Can I use an LGPL'd licensed work at Apache? ==

- No.
+ See: [http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html]

- == Please? ==
-
- Nope.
-
- == Why not? ==
-
- Basically, LGPL is a license written for the C programming language.
- While we all agree that its intent is to allow people to freely use
- the library, its wording means that the actual application to a
- language other than C is up for debate. A lot of this comes down to
- whether the term 'linking' means 'import' in Java or not. Early vs
- Late linking languages etc.
-
- Anyways, legal advice given to the ASF is to not to be tied to an LGPL
- license as the LGPL is feasibly as viral as GPL. This isn't just some
- NIH view the ASF have. Lawrence Rosen's latest book ''Open Source Licensing''
- seems to repeat the view. This means:
-
-  * we cannot have LGPL'd jars in the CVS repository
-  * that we cannot modify previously LGPL'd code
-  * that we cannot import LGPL'd code in our import statements.
-
- The same applies for GPL.
-
- The only solutions are:
-
-  * Ask the library to dual-license LGPL with something like BSD or ASF 2.0.
-  * Make the LGPL-usage a plugin, and host the plugin outside of the ASF.
-
- The latter does mean that you are personally taking on the liability for the code; ie) you're now in the situation that the lawyers warn against.
-
- == This sucks ==
-
- Yep.
-
- == Will this ever be resolved? ==
-
- I'm hoping that as the months go by next year (2005) the board will have a method by which
- we'll be able to import LGPL'd code in our code. GPL will still be out of the question, as
- would LGPL in CVS or modifying LGPL; but use of Dumbster, JFreeCharts, Hibernate
- and other libraries would be possible.
-
-
- = Latest LGPL@jakarta informations (2006) =
-
- Lately we discussed that it might be possible that the PMC is able to vote to add LGPL stuff to a project as long as the following rule will be fulfilled.
-
- We still need the ok from legal@ before we start with this procedure.
-
- At least the jakarta PMC voted that these rules are acceptable.
-
- == Rules==
-
-  * ask the original library author to change its license or provide a double licensing model
-  * look for an alternative implementation with an ASF friendly license
-  * the build script BY DEFAULT excludes java classes depending on LGPL
-  * a special parameter will enable building these classes
-  * its not allowed to bundle the LGPL library with any distribution\\(nightly, release)
-  * the function the library gains from the LGPL stuff is fully optional
-  * a bridging api (which can reside within the same project - so can be hosted at apache) will be used to access these LGPL stuff to clearly show its optional behaviour
-  * a vote for adding a LGPL dependency to a project on pmc@
-
- The technical stuff how to setup the build has to be figured out.
-

Re: [Jakarta Wiki] Update of "Using LGPL'd code" by HenriYandell

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
Ah - now I see. Must be the "Optional Add-ons" section.

Thanks!
Ciao,
Mario

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org>.