Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by vicky <vi...@yahoo.co.in> on 2012/12/09 13:05:53 UTC

PSI-PROBE query

Hello Guys,

I am trying to gather statistical information about the number of requests served by my tomcat (forwarded from Apache MPM worker) & for this i am using
PSI-PRobe (http://code.google.com/p/psi-probe/) application. I have enclosed the "PROBE screenshot" as well for your reference,
in this "Request Time "," Processing Time " values  for  http-8080  connector are keep on increasing even when no one is accessing the application.

I am wondering how can i get the report of number of requests which all are served by my tomcat instance, i am not able to relate to the
numbers which all are getting displayed in the Probe Application. Does i am doing something wrong in interpreting the Probe Application output

""" Thanks a lot to all  who all are replying to my naive queries , i really learnt a lot about tomcat after subscribing to this email list """""

Thanks Again
Vicky

Re: PSI-PROBE query

Posted by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de>.
Hi Vicky,

Am 09.12.2012 19:56, schrieb vicky:
> Yes Chris, i am pretty sure that nobody is accessing the application.
>
> The moment i start my Tomcat the "Request Count " reaches values of
> 400+ within few seconds, this value is getting incremented by 6
> everytime (eg: 6,12,18,24,30)
which port do you use to connect to psi-probe itself? We often use the
http-connector, which would be 8080 in your case.

Regards
  Felix

Re: PSI-PROBE query

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Vicky,

On 12/10/12 12:24 PM, vicky wrote:
> A lot of "to & fro " requests are happening from my browser to the
> Probe application which looks like the Ajax calls & because of that
> the request count value for my "http-8080 " connector is keep on
> increasing even when nobody is accessing it.This all i came to
> know after installing "TAMPER-DATA" which is a firefox extension
> (for request logging).Thanks for making me aware about this

FWIW, Firefox can do request logging without any additional
extensions. Just go to Tools | Web Developer | Web Console. By
default, it will lot all network activity like "GET
http://www.apache.org/" and show you the response code. You can also
configure it to get all the headers, etc for you if you double-click
on any log entry.

> I am accessing the PSI-PROBE application over HTTP port eg:-
> http://localhost:8080/probe/connectors.htm
>
> Now my question is that how we can monitor the request counts
> which all coming to my HTTP connector specifically for my
> application. ???

You can't really do that. Instead, you could install a secondary
connector on a different port (perhaps accessible only from localhost,
or at least with a firewall rule that requires a certain source
subnet) which is used exclusively for serving Psi-Probe requests.

Then you only run your metrics on the "primary" connector and ignore
the secondary connector.

> Is there a way by which i can configure two HTTP connector's one
> for PROBE application & one for my own application.???

See above.

If you want to make the webapps /inaccessible/ from the "other"
connector (so you can *only* access PsiProbe from one connector and
*only* access your webapp from the other), you'll need to define two
separate services, each with one <Connector>, one <Engine>, one
<Host>, and then only deploy one application to each <Host>.

I don't think it's worth it, though: you can use policy + firewall to
separate things such that you can't get to the secondary port, and you
can add a valve/filter that only allows access to PsiProbe from that
same source (IP, subnet, etc.).

- -chris

Re: PSI-PROBE query

Posted by vicky <vi...@yahoo.co.in>.
Chris,

You was right as usual :)

A lot of  "to & fro " requests are happening from my browser to the Probe application which looks like the Ajax calls &
because of that the request count value for my "http-8080 " connector
is keep on increasing even when nobody is accessing it.This all i came to know
after installing  "TAMPER-DATA" which is a firefox extension (for request logging).Thanks for making me aware about this

I am accessing the PSI-PROBE application over HTTP port  eg:- http://localhost:8080/probe/connectors.htm

Now my question is that how we can monitor the request counts which all coming to my
HTTP connector specifically for my application. ???

Is there a way by which i can configure two HTTP connector's one for PROBE application & one for my own application.???

or do you have any better solution . Please suggest

Thanks
Vivek

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: PSI-PROBE query