Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Richard Van der Walt <Ri...@vcontractor.co.za> on 2010/11/18 10:17:19 UTC

HTML Generated

Good day there

I need some advice as to a way forward.

We receive various HTML tables that's been generated from an external source. I have recently started to do some development at the company and I've been asked to write a transformer that will take these externally generated HTML tables and convert them to some different downloadable files. We do have some control about the HTML tables but at present a full rewrite of the code generating them is not possible.

I'm using the java w3c sax parser to transform the HTML table to a more useable format. I am however experiencing issues retrieving the information when it's plugged into the wicket application. At start just to retrieve the information I used javascript to pass the innerHTML of a DOM element to the java class. This allowed me to write the converter independent of a specific way of retrieving the data (can also get it from a file). According to requirements I have to insert an image into the header of the generated HTML to kick off the process. When I try to retrieve the InnerHTML (including the img tag) I get various non strict errors. Especially the img tag which I know is inserted as strict XML into the table. Further when I use firebug to inspect the DOM elements I see all elements are at that point as non-strict (the meta tags in the page with the wicket tags are non-strict even in the original page they are strict).

I've not used wicket before, but I have however used other web frameworks. I would like to have some recommendation as to what to do. Can I somehow force the generated html after the wicket inserts have been applied to be strict? Is there a way I can retrieve what's been passed to a wicket tag  as html content later on. I can add some basic wicket tag to the generated HTML but I'm not sure how dynamic I can go, the amount of tables are dynamically generated depending on user input and information in a database I don't have access to. I am after the least intrusive way of retrieving the data that's been passed (and then selected by the user to be converted to a file).

Thanks
Richard

�This e-mail is sent on the Terms and Conditions that can be accessed by Clicking on this link http://www.vodacom.co.za/legal/email.jsp "

RE: HTML Generated

Posted by Richard Van der Walt <Ri...@vcontractor.co.za>.
Does anyone have any idea on this?

I basically need to get hold of the HTML that's streamed to some wicket 'regions' in the format that it's streamed. When it's streamed to a web-page that only contains some javascript (used to get innerHTML and post to the server) it works fine and parses properly through a DOM parser, but when I'm going through the wicket page I'm getting malformed / non-strict HTML back with the same js.