Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com> on 2001/11/13 21:10:55 UTC

[Vote] Mail list for AvalonDB

Folks,

Myself and Gerhard are doing a huge amount of off-list chatting about
AvalonDB.  Maybe 30 messages a day.  We're both out of work (though
Gerhard has somewhere lined up) and giving it quite a bit of time.  All
those messages are getting lost for posterity and, perhaps, should not be.

More people are joining the cause and if we reconvened on *this* list it
could get very very busy.  I propose that instead of subjecting this
list to a ton of [AvalonDB] prefixed messages, we form another avalon-db
mail list and use that.

Regards,

- Paul H

Re: [Vote] Mail list for AvalonDB

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
+1

--
Cheers,

Pete

RE: [Vote] Mail list for AvalonDB

Posted by Gerhard Froehlich <g-...@gmx.de>.

+1 to this idea, if this isn't against the philosophy of avalon
as a framework...

Cheers
Gerhard

Re: [Vote] Mail list for AvalonDB

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@socialchange.net.au>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Tom Bradford wrote:

> Paul Hammant wrote:
> > Myself and Gerhard are doing a huge amount of off-list chatting about
> > AvalonDB.  Maybe 30 messages a day.  We're both out of work (though
> > Gerhard has somewhere lined up) and giving it quite a bit of time.  All
> > those messages are getting lost for posterity and, perhaps, should not be.
> >
> > More people are joining the cause and if we reconvened on *this* list it
> > could get very very busy.  I propose that instead of subjecting this
> > list to a ton of [AvalonDB] prefixed messages, we form another avalon-db
> > mail list and use that.
>
> +1

+1

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: [Vote] Mail list for AvalonDB

Posted by Tom Bradford <br...@dbxmlgroup.com>.
Paul Hammant wrote:
> Myself and Gerhard are doing a huge amount of off-list chatting about
> AvalonDB.  Maybe 30 messages a day.  We're both out of work (though
> Gerhard has somewhere lined up) and giving it quite a bit of time.  All
> those messages are getting lost for posterity and, perhaps, should not be.
>
> More people are joining the cause and if we reconvened on *this* list it
> could get very very busy.  I propose that instead of subjecting this
> list to a ton of [AvalonDB] prefixed messages, we form another avalon-db
> mail list and use that.

+1

--
Tom Bradford
The dbXML Project

Re: [ReVote] Mail list for AvalonDB

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@socialchange.net.au>.
On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 02:06:15PM +0000, Paul Hammant wrote:
> Folks,
>
> It looks like "avalon-apps" is a better name than "avalon-db", voted for
> by a couple of you, but not all who voted +1 per se.
> Can we re-vote for mail list................
>
> 1) avalon-db
>
> 2) avalon-db-dev

+1

> 3) avalon-apps
>
> 4) avalon-apps-dev

+1

(ie, whichever the db committers prefer)

--Jeff

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Tom,

> Actually, I'll take commit access right now, thank you very much.  :)

:-)

> BTW, the voting process here differs from the dbXML list in that
> anyone on the dbXML lists, commiter or not, gets to vote.  Personally,
> there's already far too much code to consider this an experiment.  If
> you're going to move forward with it, it should probably be done so as
> a separate, Jakarta project...  Including a db (Avalon-based or not)
> as an avalon sub-project would be like trying to place dbXML under the
> Cocoon projects.  While there's a possible relationship there, it's a
> non-exclusive one, that doesn't really warrant a tight bond.

Full project status would be good. Problems 1) the powers that be must
see a few active committers before considering a project at jakarta
level.  2) This might still turn out to be insane ... jakarta has a
section for failed projects!!  I think we're some weeks away from
satisfying requirements to go to the next stage.  Fingers crossed though.

Regard,.

- Paul H

Re: [ReVote] Mail list for AvalonDB

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Tom Bradford wrote:

> On Wednesday, November 14, 2001, at 08:41 AM, Paul Hammant wrote:
> > Also (ahem), you don't have a vote as a non committer.  Though of
> > course for a coder of your calibre, I'd welcome the first few diffs and
> > ultimate proposition as committer.
>
> Actually, I'll take commit access right now, thank you very much.  :)
> BTW, the voting process here differs from the dbXML list in that anyone
> on the dbXML lists, commiter or not, gets to vote.  Personally, there's
> already far too much code to consider this an experiment.  If you're
> going to move forward with it, it should probably be done so as a
> separate, Jakarta project...  Including a db (Avalon-based or not) as an
> avalon sub-project would be like trying to place dbXML under the Cocoon
> projects.  While there's a possible relationship there, it's a
> non-exclusive one, that doesn't really warrant a tight bond.

Good point, but we want to make sure a community develops around it and
the basic functionality is there before starting the process of turning
this into a jakarta subproject on its own.

Also, it needs a better name :)

Anyway, Paul, sorry but I didn't have time to check your code, but can
you tell us how much is implemented and how much you think you need to
come up with a "usable" SQL server? (or course "usable" varies a lot
between people, but just to have an idea of that still needs to be done)

Posted by Tom Bradford <br...@dbxmlgroup.com>.
On Wednesday, November 14, 2001, at 08:41 AM, Paul Hammant wrote:
> Also (ahem), you don't have a vote as a non committer.  Though of
> course for a coder of your calibre, I'd welcome the first few diffs and
> ultimate proposition as committer.

Actually, I'll take commit access right now, thank you very much.  :)
BTW, the voting process here differs from the dbXML list in that anyone
on the dbXML lists, commiter or not, gets to vote.  Personally, there's
already far too much code to consider this an experiment.  If you're
going to move forward with it, it should probably be done so as a
separate, Jakarta project...  Including a db (Avalon-based or not) as an
avalon sub-project would be like trying to place dbXML under the Cocoon
projects.  While there's a possible relationship there, it's a
non-exclusive one, that doesn't really warrant a tight bond.

--
Tom Bradford - http://www.tbradford.org
Developer - dbXML - http://www.dbxml.org

Re: [ReVote] Mail list for AvalonDB

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Tom,

>>2) avalon-db-dev
>>

>+1 for #2.  I know it would be nice to have everything fall under the
>realm of "apps", but you may be underestimating how massive a task it is
>to write a database, and how quickly they grow and change once people
>start using them.

I think this is part of a migration.  Perhaps next year the project is
too big to support as part of Avalon.  If there is enough of a community
behind it saying "yes" it could move to become a Jakarta level project
of its own.  For the moment though it is an excerscise in multiple impl
component design that may, in certain configurations, be fast enough to
be used by real JDBC clients.

Also (ahem), you don't have a vote as a non committer.  Though of course
for a coder of your calibre, I'd welcome the first few diffs and
ultimate proposition as committer.

- Paul

Re: IDEs

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 15 Nov 2001 07:18, Eric Medlock wrote:
> Does emacs have integrated syntax checking (not just
> highlighting but actual checking...)?

partially. It will miscolour bad code. But unfortunately it will also
miscolor code that does not conform to java code naming idioms. Apparently
with the latest JDE (Java Dev Environment for Emacs) this will work but I
don't use it and turn of all those features ;) It also has all the nice code
completion features but again I turn them off so I don't know how good they
are ;)

>I could give up
> a lot of features of IDEs but not syntax checking and
> also the ability to have the code "parsed" and
> organized so that I can jump directly to what I want,

you mean a project window that allows you to jump to a class or a
method/variable in class. They have that (call it speedbar IIRC).

> visually. I've thought about emacs but those features
> are really important to me and being an emacs idiot I
> don't know if they are available.

emacs is a fairly powerful environment but it is in no way shape or form easy
to learn. In theory if I was to enable most of the things in emacs I could
get most of the kool features from IDEA - except for the surround
refactorings. Unfortunately it is so painful to configure (even having used
emacs for 5 years or so) I never got around to doing it ;)

--
Cheers,

Pete

Re: IDEs

Posted by Eric Medlock <er...@yahoo.com>.
Does emacs have integrated syntax checking (not just
highlighting but actual checking...)? I could give up

Re: IDEs

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.

Re: IDEs

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@octo.com>.
IDEA from intellij is my current favorite [then netbeans as second choice].
-Vincent

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: IDEs

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Eric,

>Is there a favorite Java IDE amoung you folks?

http://www.intellij.com/

- Paul

RE: IDEs

Posted by Gerhard Froehlich <g-...@gmx.de>.
Hi,
>That's a $389 I would be happy to shell out.  The pluses on that IDE make it
Depends on the actual dm (german mark) -> dollar rate, this days hardcore :)

Cheers
Gerhard

Re: IDEs

Posted by Eric Medlock <er...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks for the comprehensive low down. I've used
VisualAge for Java the most and I really like the
refactoring capabilities of it, but the GUI builder is
flaky, the Beans engine is flaky, and it doesn't
support Java 100% (complicated inner classes
especially). With all those negatives it is the best
one I've use, but another project I'm working on is
completely incompatible with VisualAge (inner class
issues) so I have to find something else. I'm checking
out Idea, NetBeans, and a few others. It sounds like
Idea might be the way to go for me although I have to
admit that if I ever build I GUI I'll miss not having
a GUI builder (the concept of hand coding a visual
layout doesn't appeal to me, I've done it but I don't
like it). But that's not likely to occur on a frequent
basis.

Thanks again to everyone that replied!
Eric Medlock

Re: IDEs

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.

Re: IDEs

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.
Peter Royal wrote:

> On Wednesday 14 November 2001 12:16 pm, you wrote:
> > Paul convinced to use Intellij's IDEA.
> > It's not bad and it as a good CVS integration.
> >
> > but it costs 389 bucks :(
> >
> > after evaluation copy back to UltraEdit :)
>
> We use IDEA over here. I convinced management that the license was worth the
> increase in productivity :)  http://www.intellij.com

Netbeans is OpenSource and it works great here.

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring
DENIC eG, Systementwicklung

Re: IDEs

Posted by Peter Royal <pr...@managingpartners.com>.
On Wednesday 14 November 2001 12:16 pm, you wrote:
> Paul convinced to use Intellij's IDEA.
> It's not bad and it as a good CVS integration.
>
> but it costs 389 bucks :(
>
> after evaluation copy back to UltraEdit :)

We use IDEA over here. I convinced management that the license was worth the
increase in productivity :)  http://www.intellij.com

There was also a thread on /. about this,
-pete

RE: IDEs

Posted by Gerhard Froehlich <g-...@gmx.de>.

Re: IDEs

Posted by Tom Bradford <br...@dbxmlgroup.com>.
I use CodeGuide by OmniCore (http://www.omnicore.com).  It's a pure code
editor with good syntax highlighting, code completion, and error
notification.

IDEs

Posted by Eric Medlock <er...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Tom Bradford <br...@dbxmlgroup.com>.

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 15 Nov 2001 21:01, Paul Hammant wrote:
> OK I think we have consensus for a mail list "avalon-apps-dev".
>
> Peter, can you mail the appropriate daemons to get this setup?

already done ;)

--
Cheers,

Pete

Re: [ReVote] Mail list for AvalonDB

Posted by Mircea Toma <mi...@home.com>.
> 1) avalon-db
>
> 2) avalon-db-dev
>
> 3) avalon-apps
>
> 4) avalon-apps-dev

+1 for #4.

Mircea

Re: [ReVote] Mail list for AvalonDB

Posted by giacomo <gi...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Paul Hammant wrote:

> Folks,
>
> It looks like "avalon-apps" is a better name than "avalon-db", voted for
> by a couple of you, but not all who voted +1 per se.
> Can we re-vote for mail list................
>
> 1) avalon-db
>
> 2) avalon-db-dev
>
> 3) avalon-apps
>
> 4) avalon-apps-dev

I like 4) the best.

Giacomo

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> [...]

+1, I agree with Carsten

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.

Carsten

Posted by Gerhard Froehlich <g-...@gmx.de>.
>It looks like "avalon-apps" is a better name than "avalon-db", voted for
>by a couple of you, but not all who voted +1 per se.
>Can we re-vote for mail list................
>
>1) avalon-db
>
>2) avalon-db-dev
>
>3) avalon-apps
>
>4) avalon-apps-dev

+1 for #4. to share ideas which comes up in different
apps, to enlarge knowledge.

Cheers
Gerhard

[ReVote] Mail list for AvalonDB