Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Bradford Stephens <br...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/14 20:35:12 UTC

Seattle / PNW Hadoop/Lucene/HBase Meetup, Wed Sep 30th

Greetings,

It's time for another Hadoop/Lucene/Apache"Cloud"  Stack meetup!
This month it'll be on Wednesday, the 30th, at 6:45 pm.

We should have a few interesting guests this time around -- someone from
Facebook may be stopping by to talk about Hive :)

We've had great attendance in the past few months, let's keep it up! I'm always
amazed by the things I learn from everyone.

We're back at the University of Washington, Allen Computer Science
Center (not Computer Engineering)
Map: http://www.washington.edu/home/maps/?CSE

Room: 303 -or- the Entry level. If there are changes, signs will be posted.

More Info:

The meetup is about 2 hours (and there's usually food): we'll have two
in-depth talks of 15-20
minutes each, and then several "lightning talks" of 5 minutes. If no
one offers, We'll then have discussion and 'social time'.  we'll just
have general discussion. Let net know if you're interested in speaking
or attending. We'd like to focus on education, so every presentation
*needs* to ask some questions at the end. We can talk about these
after the presentations, and I'll record what we've learned in a wiki
and share that with the rest of us.

Contact: Bradford Stephens, 904-415-3009, bradfordstephens@gmail.com

Cheers,
Bradford
--
http://www.roadtofailure.com -- The Fringes of Scalability, Social
Media, and Computer Science

RE: Seattle / PNW Hadoop/Lucene/HBase Meetup, Wed Sep 30th

Posted by "Wim Van Leuven (highestpoint)" <wi...@highestpoint.biz>.
Hello Mr. Stephens,

I'm a total newbie on the Hadoop/HBase front, but this mail pulled my
interest: "hadoop/lucene/apache" cloud stack. Why? At this moment I'm diving
into all this matter to build a seamless scalable app in the cloud. I came
already to the conclusion as to use Hadoop/HBase as DB layer, a ReST layer
for transactional logic, some ESB in between and a more classical UI.
However, that shindig tracks my eye.

Could you give me some more pointers/links/info as to the content of this
matter? I am really interested!

--
Kind regards,

Wim Van Leuven
Consultant
highestpoint BVBA

Posted by "Wim Van Leuven (highestpoint)" <wi...@highestpoint.biz>.
Hello Bradford,

Nice hearing from you. I'm just now realizing you're the guy behind the
roadtofailure.com blog. Nice to meet you!

As said in my email, I came to conclusion as to use Hadoop/HBase/Katta combo
at the data layer for a cloud solution. However, the misunderstanding on my
part came from the concept 'cloud stack'. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it
seems to me, the technologies you mention are just the bottom layer for a
full application. Hence my question, as to what the other layers would be in
you Apache cloud stack setup.

My setup bottom to top at this point would be Hadoop/HBase/Katta/ReST
transactional logic (e.g. JSR-311)/ESB (e.g. synapse)/UI (e.g. Shindig). Any
comments?

On the consulting side, I'd have to propose the partners. But as we are just
startup, I'm not sure if there is a budget for that. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks anyway.

Kind regards
-wim

Posted by Bradford Stephens <br...@gmail.com>.
Uh... I think this ended up in the wrong space. Apologies!

Posted by Bradford Stephens <br...@gmail.com>.
Greetings,

Posted by Bradford Stephens <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bradford Stephens <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com>.
Hey PNW Clouders! I'd really like to chat further with the crew doing
distributed Solr. Give me a ring or shoot me an email, let's do lunch!
-Nick

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com>.