Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jeny V <v_...@yahoo.in> on 2013/05/13 08:52:07 UTC

Internal Servlet Error

Hi ,

I'm having some real issues , running programs in Tomcat on my machine.

 I just copied a jakarta folder named "jakarta-tomcat-3.3.1a" on to my D: drive (Path : D:\Program Files\jakarta-tomcat-3.3.1a) .

 I can run simple jsp programs with no database connection. But whenever I try to execute programs with database connections, following error encounters:

Error: 500

Internal Servlet Error:

javax.servlet.ServletException: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] The specified DSN contains an architecture mismatch between the Driver and Application at org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.handlePageException(PageContextImpl.java:460) at students.ques9.patients_1._jspService(patients_1.java:97) at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:119) at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java) at org.apache.tomcat.facade.ServletHandler.doService(ServletHandler.java:574) at org.apache.tomcat.core.Handler.invoke(Handler.java:322) at org.apache.tomcat.core.Handler.service(Handler.java:235) at org.apache.tomcat.facade.ServletHandler.service(ServletHandler.java:485) at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.internalService(ContextManager.java:917) at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:833) at org.apache.tomcat.modules.server.Http10Interceptor.processConnection(Http10Interceptor.java:176) at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:494) at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:516) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722) Root cause: java.sql.SQLException: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] The specified DSN contains an architecture mismatch between the Driver and Application at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbc.createSQLException(JdbcOdbc.java:6956) at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbc.standardError(JdbcOdbc.java:7113) at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbc.SQLDriverConnect(JdbcOdbc.java:3072) at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcConnection.initialize(JdbcOdbcConnection.java:323) at sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver.connect(JdbcOdbcDriver.java:174) at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:579) at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:243) at students.ques9.patients_1._jspService(patients_1.java:64) at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:119) at
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java) at org.apache.tomcat.facade.ServletHandler.doService(ServletHandler.java:574) at org.apache.tomcat.core.Handler.invoke(Handler.java:322) at org.apache.tomcat.core.Handler.service(Handler.java:235) at org.apache.tomcat.facade.ServletHandler.service(ServletHandler.java:485) at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.internalService(ContextManager.java:917) at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:833) at org.apache.tomcat.modules.server.Http10Interceptor.processConnection(Http10Interceptor.java:176) at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:494) at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:516) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)
Please do reply or help me with this problem as I tried so many times to fix the problem by trying various solutions.

My Laptop details :
Windows Edition : Windows 7
System Type : 64-bit Operating System

JDK version : jdk1.7.0_07
Jakarta Version : 3.3.1a

Looking forward for your early response.

Thanks in advance
Jeny

Re: Internal Servlet Error

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Jeny V wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> I'm having some real issues , running programs in Tomcat on my machine.
>
>  I just copied a jakarta folder named "jakarta-tomcat-3.3.1a" on to my D: drive (Path : D:\Program Files\jakarta-tomcat-3.3.1a) .

Do you not read the answers you have already been given ?
The current version of Tomcat is 7. See http://tomcat.apache.org.
You are trying to use a Tomcat version 3, which is more than 10 years old. Nobody can help
you with that version.

RE: Internal Servlet Error

Posted by "Propes, Barry L " <ba...@citi.com>.
Sorry, I must have missed that they had an updated JDk.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: Internal Servlet Error

Posted by "Propes, Barry L " <ba...@citi.com>.
Yeah, it's clear from what's typed below his DB driver is way out of whack with this ancient version of Tomcat.

It probably got updated along the way by network sorts while the Tomcat version stayed put.

Go to current, and with current Tomcat, also get a current JDK - I imagine the one you have is ancient as well.

> I'm having some real issues , running programs in Tomcat on my
> machine.
>
> I just copied a jakarta folder named "jakarta-tomcat-3.3.1a" on to my
> D: drive (Path : D:\Program Files\jakarta-tomcat-3.3.1a) .

I'm going to go ahead and echo the few responses you're already gotten so far and tell you that you really need to discard that version of Tomcat. I don't care if you have an application that "works" on it (obviously in some other environment) and are afraid to upgrade. That version is so old, we don't even have the documentation online anymore for how many unfixed security vulnerabilities may or may not be present in that version.

The Java Servlet Specification is nominally backward-compatible, so you should be able to download the latest version of Tomcat, configure it properly, and run your webapp without too many problems.

> I can run simple jsp programs with no database connection. But
> whenever I try to execute programs with database connections,
> following error encounters:
>
> Error: 500
>

> Internal Servlet Error:
>
> javax.servlet.ServletException: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] The
> specified DSN contains an architecture mismatch between the Driver and
> Application at [...]

The error is obvious from this message, but if you don't recognize the important words ("architecture mismatch") then you could be lost.

The problem is that you are using a 32-bit ODBC driver on a 64-bit JVM (or maybe a 64-bit ODBC driver on a 32-bit JVM: you didn't specify what kind of JVM you were using, though I suspect you have a 64-bit JVM and a hideously old driver that you've been lugging-around with your Tomcat 3 install). You need to take one of the following actions:

1. Install a 32-bit JVM and use that. This will solve the architecture mismatch by switching the JVM. This may have an impact on your webapp (mostly a smaller maximum heap size) so you may not want to do this.

2. Install a 32-bit version of your ODBC driver and use that. This will solve the architecture mismatch by switching the driver. You may not be able to find a compatible 64-bit driver so you may not be able to do this.

3. Discard your ODBC driver entirely and use a pure-Java JDBC driver.
Pretty much every database has one of these things available one way or another. This avoids the architecture mismatch entirely and it will likely result in better performance and stability of your web application. I highly recommend that you take this course of action.

What database are you using?

> Please do reply or help me with this problem as I tried so many times
> to fix the problem by trying various solutions.

In the future, it would be best to let everyone know what solutions you have tried and what the results were (other than just "it didn't work").

- -chris

Re: Internal Servlet Error

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Jeny,