Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Michael Reutter <li...@meinsenf.at> on 2001/12/05 13:55:38 UTC

mod_rewrite

hi,

my question the *short* way:
is it possible to set the "Host:"-variable in mod_rewrite when acting as proxy?

the *long*-way ;-) :
I've got a world-connected apache server which acts as proxy for an intranet-webserver!
BUT: the intranet-webserver should see the same "Host"-variable as the world-webserver!

eg:
internet01 and intranet01 are my webservers
internet01 gets a request, acts as a proxy and fetches the requested page from intranet01 - but intranet01 would see "intranet01" in the host-variabel and not "internet01" - but I need the host-variable of the original request there!!!

any idea???

thanks
michi

RE: mod_rewrite

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

> From: Michael Reutter [mailto:list@meinsenf.at]

> the *long*-way ;-) :
> I've got a world-connected apache server which acts as proxy for
> an intranet-webserver!
> BUT: the intranet-webserver should see the same "Host"-variable
> as the world-webserver!

Well, one way to do this is simply to decieve the proxy server about the
true DNS configuration by associating world-webserver with the internal IP
address of intranet-webserver.  I think this could be done, but you'll need
to be very careful to prevent the server from getting confused about its own
identity.

Other than that, I'm guessing you would need to hack mod_proxy.

Joshua.