Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Aseem Monga <a....@mpstechnologies.com> on 2007/05/29 07:24:55 UTC

Batch processing of XML documents

Hi, I am a novice in cocoon. We have to develop an offline batch process for
generating html pages statically, For this we are evaluating if we can use
cocoon.

Question 1: Should we wait for cocoon 2.2, which the list says is coming
soon. When exactly is it expected?

The data is in XML format in a client proprietary DTD. We would need to
process a group of XMLs. From what I know is that only a single document is
processed in pipelines.

Question2: How can a pipeline be executed in a loop for source XML documents
in a folder, so all the input XMLs can be processed in the pipeline defined,
one after another.

Thanks in advance.

Aseem Monga

Senior Software Engineer,

HCL Technologies Ltd,

STP-II, Infocity, Sec-34,

Gurgaon, HR. India

Mail:  <ma...@hcl.in> aseemm@hcl.in

RE: Batch processing of XML documents

Posted by Aseem Monga <a....@mpstechnologies.com>.
Derek, Thanks for your prompt reply.

Let me try and explain what we want to do.

We need to develop a generic pluggable components based framework, in which
different XML processors can be arranged in a pluggable and configurable
manner, generating intermediate XML or XMLs, for specific sections of a web
page like one each for Figures, Tables, Abstract, Full Text, Book TOCs etc.
Then XSL can be applied to create html pages creating an aggregated view.

A java/jaxp based framework can do for this, but we came across cocoon
because of pipeline framework and It is mentioned in Cocoon documentation
that apart from dynamic page generation, cocoon can be used for generating
the static pages offline using the command line interface.

These are some of the reasons that we looked at cocoon. Please suggest
cocoon's viability in this scenario!!

Thanks,

Aseem

  _____

Posted by Derek Hohls <DH...@csir.co.za>.
Aseem

If all you need to do is process a bunch of XML files to create HTML,
then a simple scripting approach, possibly mixed with XSLT, would
do the job.  Cocoon is primarily used for dynamic generation of
pages.

>>> "Aseem Monga" <a....@mpstechnologies.com> 2007/05/29 07:24:55 AM

 Hi, I am a novice in cocoon. We have to develop an offline batch
process for generating html pages statically, For this we are evaluating
if we can use cocoon.  Question 1: Should we wait for cocoon 2.2, which
the list says is coming soon. When exactly is it expected? The data is
in XML format in a client proprietary DTD. We would need to process a
group of XMLs. From what I know is that only a single document is
processed in pipelines. Question2: How can a pipeline be executed in a
loop for source XML documents in a folder, so all the input XMLs can be
processed in the pipeline defined, one after another. Thanks in advance.
Aseem MongaSenior Software Engineer,HCL Technologies Ltd,STP-II,
Infocity, Sec-34,Gurgaon, HR. IndiaMail: aseemm@hcl.in

views of the CSIR.

CSIR E-mail Legal Notice

CSIR Copyright, Terms and Conditions