Posted to users@solr.apache.org by Julien Faye <ju...@gmail.com> on 2021/06/02 06:46:06 UTC

Is Linux ARM64 architecture officially supported ?

Hello,

At work we have started deploying some of our backend services on ARM64
machines, on Linux.
Recently we ran some tests of Solr and so far we didn't have any issues!
Before spending more time on functional and performance testing I wanted to
ask whether Linux ARM64 is an officially supported platform for Solr and
Lucene ? Should I expect help here and in JIRA if we face problems ?

Thank you!

Regards,
Julien

Re: Is Linux ARM64 architecture officially supported ?

Posted by Emilio Fernandes <em...@gmail.com>.
Hi Julien,

On 2021/06/02 12:42:28, Julien Faye <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for your answer, Jan!
>
> On Wed, Jun 2, 2021 at 10:07 AM Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I think the more important question to ask here is whether you have a
> > supported Java JRE for that architecture, and the answer is of course yes.
> > The project don't really have a list of supported and unsupported
> > hardware. It's more that we know that some less used JVMs may have more
> > issues than others, and some platforms (Windows, BSD) receive less testing
> > than Linux.
> > Java and Solr don't care much what CPU you're on, so I think you're good
> > to go :)
> >

> What you say is mostly true!
> But we have faced some issues with other Java based software that use
> native libraries (or some of their dependencies use native libraries). Most
> of the compression libraries, like Protobuf, Snappy, etc., use native libs
> and this could lead to problems if using old versions of such libraries.
>
> As I said we didn't face any problems so far with Solr but we don't use all
> its features too, so there might be something still uncovered.
>
> Are there any other Linux ARM64 Solr users out there ? Some positive
> feedback from production usage would give us some confidence!

We run Solr on Linux ARM64 for several months now! And there were no any issues related to the different architecture so far!
There is an issue at JIRA about testing Solr on ARM64: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-15072 . Knowing that Solr is being regularly tested on Linux ARM64 will make us feel safer when upgrading!
Michael Sokolov tests Lucene candidate releases on AWS Graviton: https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rc8ffd761e57e7b756de19cf5cc1530e05c2f4e27535dfd0ea47f0d1d%40%3Cdev.lucene.apache.org%3E

Emilio

Posted by Julien Faye <ju...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.