Posted to user@uima.apache.org by Prem Devanbu <de...@cs.ucdavis.edu> on 2013/02/09 01:38:07 UTC

making hiearchical annotations in UIMA

We  want to annotated some text with a syntax tree, and we're having trouble finding examples or tutorial content on how this should be done within UIMA. Any pointers appreciated.

Prem Devanbu
Professor, Computer Science
UC Davis

RE: making hiearchical annotations in UIMA

Posted by "Masanz, James J." <Ma...@mayo.edu>.
Significant changes were made to the type sysem for cTAKES (now Apache cTAKES [incubating]) to generalize it and align it with standards where possible. It includes semantic and syntactic types.
http://incubator.apache.org/ctakes/

I suggest you look at ctakes-constituency-parser for an example of handling a syntax tree.

The type system for the current release candidate is:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ctakes/branches/ctakes-3.0.0-incubating/ctakes-type-system/src/main/resources/org/apache/ctakes/typesystem/types/TypeSystem.xml

And the latest release under development is:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ctakes/trunk/ctakes-type-system/src/main/resources/org/apache/ctakes/typesystem/types/TypeSystem.xml

Here is the citation for the type system
A common type system for clinical natural language processing.
J Biomed Sem. 4:1. 2013.
http://www.jbiomedsem.com/content/4/1/1/abstract

Regards,
James Masanz
Senior Analyst/Programmer
Department of Information Technology
Phone: (507) 722-1727
masanz.james@mayo.edu

Mayo Clinic
mayoclinic.org

Posted by Damir Cavar <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Prem,

On Feb 9, 2013, at 2:01 AM, Richard Eckart de Castilho <ec...@ukp.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote:

> Am 09.02.2013 um 01:38 schrieb Prem Devanbu <de...@cs.ucdavis.edu>:
>
>> We  want to annotated some text with a syntax tree, and we're having trouble finding examples or tutorial content on how this should be done within UIMA. Any pointers appreciated.

You can also represent a syntactic tree simply as offsets with tag (assuming a constituent structure tree without overlaps), if the hierarchy is implicit in the offset span. Potential matching offsets have to be handled by other rules (e.g. what cat/tag dominates what other can be handled independently in subsequent components, or a final visualization). Maybe a look at the stand-off annotation approaches in for example TEI XML would help.

--
Dr. Damir Cavar
http://cavar.me/damir/

Re: making hiearchical annotations in UIMA

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <ec...@ukp.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
Am 09.02.2013 um 01:38 schrieb Prem Devanbu <de...@cs.ucdavis.edu>:

> We  want to annotated some text with a syntax tree, and we're having trouble finding examples or tutorial content on how this should be done within UIMA. Any pointers appreciated.

The typical way to represent a tree is defining a tree node type like this:

Node {
  Node parent;
  FSArray<Node> children;
  String tag;
}

An example for such a type is the "Constituent" type in the DKPro Core Syntax type system:

http://code.google.com/p/dkpro-core-asl/source/browse/de.tudarmstadt.ukp.dkpro.core-asl/trunk/de.tudarmstadt.ukp.dkpro.core.api.syntax-asl/src/main/resources/desc/type/Constituency.xml

-- Richard

Richard Eckart de Castilho
Technical Lead
FB 20 Computer Science Department
Technische Universität Darmstadt
Hochschulstr. 10, D-64289 Darmstadt, Germany
eckart@ukp.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
www.ukp.tu-darmstadt.de