Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Michael Wang <mw...@mindspring.com> on 2002/11/15 00:22:17 UTC

URI limited to 255 in MySQL and DB2?

I found that URI column in OBJECTS and REVISIONS tables are limited
to 255 chars in MySQL and DB2, due to the primary key constraint.

The purpose of this posting is to confirm this, and to seek opinions and
workaround.

Thanks.

(1) MySQL

Copied from JDBC How To:

"
create table objects(uri blob not null, primary key uriIndex (uri(255)),
  classname blob);
"

I believe PRIMARY KEY is used to enforce uniqueness as well as indexing.
If this is true, URI exceeds 255, and PRIMARY KEY is only done on the
first 255 chars, then the uniqueness is not enforced.

The key is limited to 255 on a single column in MySQL (both MyISAM and
innoDB), having a larger URI column only create a hidden problem. It is
better to make the problem up front. For this reason, I would suggest
changing above to

"
create table objects(uri varchar(255) not null, primary key uriIndex (uri(255)),
  classname blob);
"

How do you think? And anyone has an idea to make URI beyond 255 in MySQL?

(2) DB2

The DB2 (version 7.1) has the same limitation on the length of
column with primary key, as shown below.

"
db2 => create table obj(uri varchar(256) not null primary key,
db2 (cont.) => classname varchar(3200));

SQL20075  The index or index extension "SQL021114150625950" cannot be created
or altered because the length of "URI" is more than 255 bytes.  SQLSTATE=54008

db2 => create table obj(uri blob(256) not null primary key,
db2 (cont.) => classname varchar(3200));

SQL0350N  LOB, DATALINK, or structured type column "URI" cannot be used in an
index, a key, a unique constraint, a generated column, or a declared temporary
table.  SQLSTATE=42962
"

Is there a way to go beyond 255 in DB2?

Anyone has encountered the limitation in these two databases, and
has found a workaround?

--
Michael Wang
http://www.unixlabplus.com/

Re: URI limited to 255 in MySQL and DB2?

Posted by Michael Wang <mw...@mindspring.com>.
On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 09:45:45AM +0100, Martin Holz wrote:
> On Sunday 17 November 2002 19:10, Michael Wang wrote:
> > The following DDLs on slide "JDBC HOW TO" page for MySQL:
> >
> > "
> > create table objects(uri blob not null, primary key uriIndex (uri(255)),
> >   classname blob);
> > create table revisions(uri blob not null, primary key uriIndex
> >   (uri(255)), isversioned int, initialrevision varchar(10) );
> > "
> >
> > For this reason, and the reason I mentioned above, the "primary key"
> > should be replaced by "key" in the DDL statements.
>
> What is the difference between 'key' and 'primary key' except, that a 'key'
> might be null? Both must be unique. So I would expect the same problems.

Martin et al,

There are three types of indexes (keys) in MySQL (plus fulltext),
and they are summarized below (same as Oracle):

regular key: allows null=YES, allows duplicates=YES
unique  key: allows null=YES, allows duplicates=NO (*)
primary key: allows null=NO , allows duplicates=NO

* The key allows NULLs, but you can have "not null" in column definition.

And this is demonstrated with examples below:

key:

mysql> create table a (b int);
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> alter table a add index ind_a (b);
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.27 sec)
Records: 0  Duplicates: 0  Warnings: 0

mysql> insert into a values (null);
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.01 sec)

mysql> insert into a values (1);
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.02 sec)

mysql> insert into a values (1);
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.01 sec)

unique key:

mysql> create table a (b int);
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.01 sec)

mysql> alter table a add unique ind_a (b);
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.06 sec)
Records: 0  Duplicates: 0  Warnings: 0

mysql> insert into a values (null);
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.03 sec)

mysql> insert into a values (1);
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.01 sec)

mysql> insert into a values (1);
ERROR 1062: Duplicate entry '1' for key 1

primary key:

mysql> create table a (b int);
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.01 sec)

mysql> alter table a add primary key (b);
ERROR 1171: All parts of a PRIMARY KEY must be NOT NULL;
If you need NULL in a key, use UNIQUE instead

mysql> alter table a modify b int not null;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.08 sec)
Records: 0  Duplicates: 0  Warnings: 0

mysql> alter table a add primary key (b);
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.06 sec)
Records: 0  Duplicates: 0  Warnings: 0

mysql> insert into a values (null);
ERROR 1048: Column 'b' cannot be null

mysql> insert into a values (1);
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.00 sec)

Posted by Martin Holz <ho...@fiz-chemie.de>.
On Sunday 17 November 2002 19:10, Michael Wang wrote:
> The following DDLs on slide "JDBC HOW TO" page for MySQL:
>
> "
> create table objects(uri blob not null, primary key uriIndex (uri(255)),
>   classname blob);
> create table revisions(uri blob not null, primary key uriIndex
>   (uri(255)), isversioned int, initialrevision varchar(10) );
> "
>
> are logically incorrect, I think. It enforces the uniqueness
> on the first 255 bytes of "uri" of the type BLOB, while the uniqueness
> is only required on the entire "uri" column. The primary key
> would reject valid "uri" rows.

This would be really bad.
[..]

Posted by Michael Wang <mw...@mindspring.com>.
The following DDLs on slide "JDBC HOW TO" page for MySQL:

"
create table objects(uri blob not null, primary key uriIndex (uri(255)),
  classname blob);
create table revisions(uri blob not null, primary key uriIndex
  (uri(255)), isversioned int, initialrevision varchar(10) );
"

are logically incorrect, I think. It enforces the uniqueness
on the first 255 bytes of "uri" of the type BLOB, while the uniqueness
is only required on the entire "uri" column. The primary key
would reject valid "uri" rows.

This point is demonstrated with following example (uses 10 instead 255):

  mysql> create table a (uri blob not null, primary key (uri(10)));
  Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.17 sec)

  mysql> insert into a values ('/234567890/a');
  Query OK, 1 row affected (0.21 sec)

  mysql> insert into a values ('/234567890/b');
  ERROR 1062: Duplicate entry '/234567890/b' for key 1

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002, Martin Holz (<ho...@fiz-chemie.de>) wrote:
> [The primary key is]  just a guard against bugs in slide.
> However you still need a index on uri to get acceptable performance.

For this reason, and the reason I mentioned above, the "primary key"
should be replaced by "key" in the DDL statements.

This would allows URIs with common path >= 255 bytes. However, if you
many URIs like this, the index would not be selective. But this is a
performance issue.

Thanks.

Posted by Martin Holz <ho...@fiz-chemie.de>.
Hi,

On Friday 15 November 2002 00:22, Michael Wang wrote:
> I found that URI column in OBJECTS and REVISIONS tables are limited
> to 255 chars in MySQL and DB2, due to the primary key constraint.
>
> The purpose of this posting is to confirm this, and to seek opinions and
> workaround.
>
> Thanks.
>
> (1) MySQL
>
> Copied from JDBC How To:
>
> "
> create table objects(uri blob not null, primary key uriIndex (uri(255)),
>   classname blob);

MySQL version 3.22.32  (Suse Linux 7.0):
mysql> create table objects(uri blob not null, primary key uriIndex
           (uri(255)), classname blob);
ERROR 1073: BLOB column 'uri' can't be used in key specification
with the used table type

The statement from the manual is not working at all for my installation.
You could somehow change the table type, but most people would
not do this. What is your target mysql version and which store are you
talking about.  Indices on blobs are allowed since 3.23.2.

> I believe PRIMARY KEY is used to enforce uniqueness as well as indexing.
> If this is true, URI exceeds 255, and PRIMARY KEY is only done on the
> first 255 chars, then the uniqueness is not enforced.

There is no real need to the enforce the uniqueness at the databank level,
if the application cares about it. Its just a guard against bugs in slide.
However you still need a index on uri to get acceptable performance.

> The key is limited to 255 on a single column in MySQL (both MyISAM and
> innoDB), having a larger URI column only create a hidden problem. It is
> better to make the problem up front. For this reason, I would suggest
> changing above to
>
> "
> create table objects(uri varchar(255) not null, primary key uriIndex
> (uri(255)), classname blob);
> "

Limiting the uri length to 255 character is not acceptable for many
applications. IIRC most browsers have a url length limit of 4096 and posix
requires a minimum filename length of 1024. 255 characters woud be a
serious limitation for webdav.

> How do you think? And anyone has an idea to make URI beyond 255 in MySQL?

You could create some kind of hash from the uri string and pray, that you
don't get key collisions. For MD5 key collisions are very unlikely, but
I guess calculation is to slow.

Martin

Re: Domain.xml configuration for MySQL

Posted by Martin Holz <ho...@fiz-chemie.de>.
Hi,

On Friday 15 November 2002 07:36, Jim Collins wrote:
> Thanks Rahul,
>
> It is pretty much how I have got mine setup. I am getting the following
> error though when I startup Tomcat:
>
> 15 Nov 2002 00:32:36 - slidestore.reference.JDBCDescriptorsStore - INFO -
> Connecting to "jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/myDB" as user "root"
> 15 Nov 2002 00:32:41 - slidestore.reference.JDBCDescriptorsStore - ERROR -
> Connecting to "jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/myDB" as user "root" failed
> 15 Nov 2002 00:32:41 - slidestore.reference.JDBCDescriptorsStore - ERROR -
> java.sql.SQLException: Invalid authorization specification: Access denied
> for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: YES)
> 15 Nov 2002 00:32:41 - org.apache.slide.common.Domain - WARNING - Service
> slidestore.reference.JDBCDescriptorsStore@a36b53 connection failed :
> Invalid authorization specification: Access denied for user:
> 'root@localhost' (Using password: YES)
> 15 Nov 2002 00:32:41 - org.apache.slide.common.Domain - WARNING - Service
> is missing on root node
> 15 Nov 2002 00:32:41 - org.apache.slide.common.Namespace - ERROR - Unable
> to read Namespace base configuration file :
> 15 Nov 2002 00:32:41 - org.apache.slide.common.Namespace - ERROR -
> org.apache.slide.common.ServiceMissingOnRootNodeException: Service is
> missing on root node
> org.apache.slide.common.ServiceMissingOnRootNodeException: Service is
> missing on root node
>
> I can access the database from mysql using the user name and password that
> I set in Domain.xml but it does not seem to work from slide.

Just an idea. It's not alway clear to me, in which cases mysql clients  try to
 login as root@localhost and in which case it uses
root@mycomputer.mydomain.com. Its  even worst, if your computer has more than
one name.

Martin

Re: Performance issue

Posted by Sean Qi <se...@showiz.com>.
I forgot to mention that I was trying to move the Slide source direcotry
which you get from Slide's CVS to slide.  In other words, the 170MB consists
of hundreds of files.

When I put one SINGLE file of 44 MB, it only take 15 seconds.

Any input?

Sean Q

Performance issue

Re: Error creating a collection.

Posted by Jim Collins <ja...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
I found the problem. In my Domain.xml file I was using a JDBC store instead
of a MySQL strore.

Regards

Jim.

Posted by Jim Collins <ja...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
Hi Rahul,

Thanks again for the tip. I am new to MySQL and thought it had something to
do with the MySQL and not slide.

Regards

Jim.

PS Thanks also to the other people who replied.

Performance issue

Posted by Jim Collins <ja...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
Thanks Rahul,

slidestore.reference.JDBCDescriptorsStore@a36b53 connection failed : Invalid
authorization specification: Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using
password: YES)
15 Nov 2002 00:32:41 - org.apache.slide.common.Domain - WARNING - Service is

Posted by Jim Collins <ja...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
Hi,