Posted to marketing@openoffice.apache.org by Milosh Vujnovic <mi...@techcolossus.com> on 2013/04/04 22:42:48 UTC

Homepage Mockup

Hi everyone,

attached in this email is a quick mockup that I did for the homepage so
we can at least have a starting point.
Then we can progress with the details - content, what sections should be
added, what should be changed, etc.
There are some visual details and more spacing that I will add later -
currently this was all composed pretty much quickly.

Let me know your thoughts.

P.S. I've used logo mockup from Alexandro, changed the order a little
bit.. please keep in mind that this might also changed as the final word
has not been made on the logo (as far as I understand).
P.P.S. Tech-related note: this was made on 960px template with 12 columns.

Best,
Milosh

Re: Homepage Mockup

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 8:01 AM, Milos Vujnovic <mi...@techcolossus.com>wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> my answers and comments are below.
>
> Thanks,
> Milosh
>

> On 04/05/2013 04:28 AM, Dave Fisher wrote:
>
>> First an editorial comment.
>>
>> Why the Business emphasis on the front page?
>>

> To my knowledge, one of the biggest demographics that are using OpenOffice
> are businesses and students.
> Let me know if you have any suggestions and I'll implement them into the
> mockups.
>
> If I made a mistake about the demographics, I apologize as I wasn't
> following all the email conversations due business obligations.
>
> Of course, if students are the largest audience I'll base the design
> around that idea.
> On the marketing aspect, design is first targeted with the largest
> audience, then the smaller audience is mentioned and divided on the other
> areas of the main design.

I like the idea of having people on the homepage.  That is a proven
technique.  Our user base is quite diverse, so any one image is going to
omit many categories of users.  Maybe that could be an image slider,
rotating multiple images?

>> Apache HTTPD Server with Apache Subversion and a custom CMS that allows
>> publishing in many ways including Apache Maven and Apache Forrest. Apache
>> Infrastructure is maintained by people involved with these and most other
>> Apache projects.
>>

> Thank you for explaining this. I think we're better off preparing the HTML
> and then OpenOffice devs can implement it into Apache CMS or any other
> custom system.
> I'll have this in mind while working on other mockups although usually
> there are no technical limitations or specific requirements for actual
> designs.
>

>> Boilerplate html5 would be good. We just need to divide it up between
>> template/frame components and the body. The CMS includes custom perl code
>> which can do most anything in page construction.
>>

> Great, sounds good.
> Can you tell me where I can find more information about that perl code?
> I'm interested on what it offers in page construction process, it sounds
> very interesting.

Here's a basic overview of the website anatomy.  Start with a plain page
like our license page:

http://www.openoffice.org/license.html

That's how it displays to users.  But the source file that we edit is more
basic:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/content/license.html

Other parts of the page, like the footer, the navigator at top, the header
and logo, the "We're on Pinterest" announcement, etc., are stored in
separate source files and processed as Server Side Includes.

You can see the global site templates here:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/templates/

And the perl script here:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/lib/

Note that the template can be overriden, so some parts of the website have
an additional side panel, e.g., the Product pages:

http://www.openoffice.org/product/index.html

I think it would be fine to concentrate initially on the information design
and the general website approach.  I think what you've shown so far is much
cleaner and appealing then what we have now.  This is great!

However, you might want to keep these technical considerations in mind.  In
the end we need humanly-editable, standards-based web pages that don't
require proprietary tools to maintain.  Beyond the server side includes we
can't rely on server side processing, LAMP, etc.

We'll also want to think of the pages in a modular way, so that common
pieces like navigators, can be processed as Server Side Includes.

Also, we'll want to think about what we put on the home page, but also what
the look & feel would be for other plain pages, like the license page
linked to above.

Regards,

-Rob

Re: Homepage Mockup

Posted by Milos Vujnovic <mi...@techcolossus.com>.
Hi Dave,

Re: Homepage Mockup

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
First an editorial comment.

Why the Business emphasis on the front page?

Below technical comments.

Re: Homepage Mockup

Posted by Milos Vujnovic <mi...@techcolossus.com>.
Hi Samer,

thank you -- fonts that were currently used were Rockwell, PT Sans and
Arial.
Let me know what you've came up with and I'll implement them in mockups.

For web development I mostly use Google Web Fonts library, so I can also
implement some fonts from there into the mockups.

Best,
Milosh

Re: Homepage Mockup

Posted by Samer Mansour <sa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Homepage Mockup

Posted by Milosh Vujnovic <mi...@techcolossus.com>.
Hi Andrea,

Re: Homepage Mockup

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: Homepage Mockup

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 4/4/13 10:54 PM, Milosh Vujnovic wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> sure, here it is:
> http://techcolossus.com/openoffice/OpenOffice-V01-Milosh.jpg

quite nice, looks like a professional homepage ;-)

Juergen

Re: Homepage Mockup

Posted by Milosh Vujnovic <mi...@techcolossus.com>.
Hi Rob,