Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Will Nettles <ne...@roadrunner.com> on 2014/01/19 19:52:43 UTC

Malware/ Adware masquerading as an Open Office extension

It’s nearly impossible to send a simple e-mail to you guys.

Malware/ Adware masquerading as an Open Office extension

Yesterday I wanted to place thousand separator commas…

The top website on Google for this seemed legit, but I wound up installing
Genieo a mean little malware/adware bug.

It’s not the first time this thing snuck on my computer.

Anyway,
love Open Office, keep up the good work.

Thanks

Will Nettles

Re: Malware/ Adware masquerading as an Open Office extension

Posted by Tanja Meece <ta...@gmail.com>.
Thank you so much!

Posted by Max Merbald <ma...@gmx.de>.
Will,

it's obviously not impossible to send us an e-mail - you succeeded!

How did you obtain Genieo? Did it come with your installation of
Openoffice? If so, you did not install it from the official website
www.openoffice.org. Openoffice from the official site comes without any
additional programs and, of course, without malware.

Genieo does have malware issues as its article on the Wikipedia says:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genieo

I'd say it makes sense to do a little research before you install some
software you're not familiar with.

Hope you got rid of the malware!

Max

Posted by Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.
On 01/19/2014 01:52 PM, Will Nettles wrote:
> The top website on Google for this seemed legit, but I wound up installing
> Genieo a mean little malware/adware bug.

Do you remember what your Google search terms were?

--
Andrew Pitonyak
Info:  http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php