Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> on 2002/11/12 18:26:37 UTC

[5.0] Experiment with JMX console

I was experimenting with using MC4J (from SF.net) support using MX4J.
Basically, this is a JMX client app with some nice features, and it
looked easy to add.

However, I ran into serious trouble (and I'm posting that to see if
someone can help sort it out, or is willing to investigate further):
- The client part may only work with MX4J 1.1. There may be a
workaround, according to the docs.
- The client (based on Netbeans) crashes (with a BSOD) my XP computer a
lot on exit, and no longer works ever since the first crash (I get a NPE
on startup from each of MC4J's modules). I have no idea what is going
on, and tried reinstalling, etc, without any success.

So the bottom line is I can no longer work on the feature :-( I can
commit the code if people are interested in the feature, and would like
to investigate (basically, it adds a new method in MBeanUtils which
instantiates the adaptor MBean, and that's it).

Remy

Re: [5.0] Experiment with JMX console

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> I was experimenting with using MC4J (from SF.net) support using MX4J.
> Basically, this is a JMX client app with some nice features, and it
> looked easy to add.
>
> However, I ran into serious trouble (and I'm posting that to see if
> someone can help sort it out, or is willing to investigate further):
> - The client part may only work with MX4J 1.1. There may be a
> workaround, according to the docs.
> - The client (based on Netbeans) crashes (with a BSOD) my XP computer a
> lot on exit, and no longer works ever since the first crash (I get a NPE
> on startup from each of MC4J's modules). I have no idea what is going
> on, and tried reinstalling, etc, without any success.
>
> So the bottom line is I can no longer work on the feature :-( I can
> commit the code if people are interested in the feature, and would like
> to investigate (basically, it adds a new method in MBeanUtils which
> instantiates the adaptor MBean, and that's it).

+1

As a note - some of the changes on the startup broke my ant startup
code. Instead of fixing it I decided to try a different approach -
similar to what JBoss is using.

I plan to add code to allow catalina to be wrapped as an MBean,
and then add some ant tasks to instantiate (<mlet> style) and set jmx
properties ( and invoke actions ). If anyone is interested to
help - it would be great ( the code is not yet ready - but I can
check in what I have ).

Costin