Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Alex <my...@gmail.com> on 2016/02/17 17:49:55 UTC

Google Drive/Docs spam

Hi all,

I recall some rules that were written years ago to address these, but
it appears they're back. We've been hit with a few, including users
actually following the link. I was hoping someone had some
recommendations on how to stop them.

http://pastebin.com/zKWUUQ0Q

Obviously they're coming in advance of being on an RBL or DNSBL.

I was thinking to correlate the body text somehow with something that
checks to see if it actually passed through Google (SPF, etc?), but
that won't work for messages that were forwarded to another user...

Thanks,
Alex

Re: Google Drive/Docs spam

Posted by Jari Fredriksson <ja...@iki.fi>.
RW kirjoitti 18.2.2016 14:40:
> On Thu, 18 Feb 2016 09:35:18 +0200
> Jari Fredriksson wrote:
>

>> > I seem to remember a botnet plugin from about 2010, but didn't think
>> > it was maintained or worked properly anymore?
>> >

>> That very same. Seems to work fine, so I have not disabled it.
>
> It works for me too, but I don't have any IPv6.
>
> IIRC at one time it FP'ed on IPv6, and I'm not sure if this was fixed.

I have IPv6 but not with the external interface to inet, and that ipv6
does not do seem to much damage anyways. Dunno, maybe I should do some
research. But it aint broken, for me, so I have not "fixed" it away.

--
jarif.bit

Re: Google Drive/Docs spam

Posted by Alex <my...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

>> > I seem to remember a botnet plugin from about 2010, but didn't think
>> > it was maintained or worked properly anymore?
>>
>> That very same. Seems to work fine, so I have not disabled it.
>
> It works for me too, but I don't have any IPv6.
>
> IIRC at one time it FP'ed on IPv6, and I'm not sure if this was fixed.

I knew there was a reason I disabled it:

 *  0.01 BOTNET Relay might be a spambot or virusbot
 *      [botnet0.9,ip=72.166.183.235,rdns=p1-183235.e.target.com,maildomain=e.target.com,client,ipinhostname]

I enabled them with a lower score, and it still catches a ton of good
mail that comes from poorly configured systems.

Maybe when this plugin was written it wasn't common to have an IP in a
mail server's hostname, but these days it is.

 *  0.01 BOTNET_IPINHOSTNAME Hostname contains its own IP address
 *      [botnet_ipinhosntame,ip=72.166.183.235,rdns=p1-183235.e.target.com]

There are dozens of other examples. Perhaps it would work in a meta
with a low score, but I think it needs more current development.

Thanks,
Alex

Re: Google Drive/Docs spam

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Google Drive/Docs spam

Posted by Jari Fredriksson <ja...@iki.fi>.

--
jarif.bit

Re: Google Drive/Docs spam

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Am 18.02.2016 um 01:16 schrieb Alex:
> Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net> wrote:
>> 7.5 BAYES_99               BODY: Bayes spam probability is 99 to 100%
>
> I can't even imagine almost doubling the bayes score from the default,
> basically making it a poison pill, when the default score is generated
> as part of the rule development process

depends how and how long and careful you train it, especially the ham
and balance - no single complaint in the last 12 months

[root@mail-gw:~]$ su - sa-milt
$ /usr/bin/sa-learn --dump magic
0.000          0          3          0  non-token data: bayes db version
0.000          0      60711          0  non-token data: nspam
0.000          0      21689          0  non-token data: nham
0.000          0    2524595          0  non-token data: ntokens
0.000          0 1452439800          0  non-token data: oldest atime
0.000          0 1452439800          0  non-token data: newest atime
0.000          0 1455752529          0  non-token data: last journal
sync atime
0.000          0          0          0  non-token data: last expiry atime
0.000          0          0          0  non-token data: last expire
atime delta
0.000          0          0          0  non-token data: last expire
reduction count

Re: Google Drive/Docs spam

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.
On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 19:16:46 -0500
Alex wrote:

> I can't even imagine almost doubling the bayes score from the default,
> basically making it a poison pill, when the default score is generated
> as part of the rule development process.

AFAIK the BAYES_* scores are just made-up - although it is true that
the autogenerated scores are affected by them.

For me scoring BAYES_99 above 5 is a much more conservative approach
than writing a lot of custom rules to combine with BAYES_99 at 3.5. It
depends on your Bayes results.

Re: Google Drive/Docs spam

Posted by Alex <my...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 4:29 PM, Jari Fredriksson <ja...@iki.fi> wrote:
> Alex kirjoitti 17.2.2016 18:49:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I recall some rules that were written years ago to address these, but
>> it appears they're back. We've been hit with a few, including users
>> actually following the link. I was hoping someone had some
>> recommendations on how to stop them.
>>
>> http://pastebin.com/zKWUUQ0Q
>>
>> Obviously they're coming in advance of being on an RBL or DNSBL.
>>
>> I was thinking to correlate the body text somehow with something that
>> checks to see if it actually passed through Google (SPF, etc?), but
>> that won't work for messages that were forwarded to another user...
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Alex
>
> Rejected here, easily.
>
> Content analysis details:   (14.4 points, 5.0 required)
>
>  pts rule name              description
> ---- ----------------------
>  1.5 BOTNET                 Relay might be a spambot or virusbot

What rule is that?

I seem to remember a botnet plugin from about 2010, but didn't think
it was maintained or worked properly anymore?

>  8.0 CLAMAV                 Clam AntiVirus detected a virus
> [winnow.spam.ts.google.994118.UNOFFICIAL(59724bd0d31d1f2fccdbb50fed23e7cb:3924)]

Yes, clamav is catching them now here too. We seem to continually be
ahead of the antivirus writers and SBLs.

Re: Google Drive/Docs spam

Posted by Jari Fredriksson <ja...@iki.fi>.
Alex kirjoitti 17.2.2016 18:49:
> Hi all,
>
> I recall some rules that were written years ago to address these, but
> it appears they're back. We've been hit with a few, including users
> actually following the link. I was hoping someone had some
> recommendations on how to stop them.
>
> http://pastebin.com/zKWUUQ0Q
>
> Obviously they're coming in advance of being on an RBL or DNSBL.
>
> I was thinking to correlate the body text somehow with something that
> checks to see if it actually passed through Google (SPF, etc?), but
> that won't work for messages that were forwarded to another user...
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

Rejected here, easily.

  pts rule name              description
---- ----------------------
  1.5 BOTNET                 Relay might be a spambot or virusbot
[botnet0.8,ip=23.111.183.206,rdns=23-111-183-206.static.hvvc.us,maildomain=hollowayaffiliates.com,client,ipinhostname,clientwords]
-0.0 BAYES_40               BODY: Bayes spam probability is 20 to 40%
                             [score: 0.3871]
  2.1 HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_12     BODY: HTML: images with 800-1200 bytes of
words
  8.0 CLAMAV                 Clam AntiVirus detected a virus
[winnow.spam.ts.google.994118.UNOFFICIAL(59724bd0d31d1f2fccdbb50fed23e7cb:3924)]
  0.8 RDNS_NONE              Delivered to internal network by a host with
no rDNS
  1.0 KAM_LAZY_DOMAIN_SECURITY Sending domain does not have any
                             anti-forgery methods
  0.0 HTML_SHORT_LINK_IMG_1  HTML is very short with a linked image
  0.0 T_REMOTE_IMAGE         Message contains an external image

--
jarif.bit

Re: Google Drive/Docs spam

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Am 18.02.2016 um 12:29 schrieb Matus UHLAR - fantomas:
>> Am 17.02.2016 um 17:49 schrieb Alex:
>>> http://pastebin.com/zKWUUQ0Q
>>>
>>> Obviously they're coming in advance of being on an RBL or DNSBL.
>>>
>>> I was thinking to correlate the body text somehow with something that
>>> checks to see if it actually passed through Google (SPF, etc?), but
>>> that won't work for messages that were forwarded to another user...
>
> On 17.02.16 20:17, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> well, and that's why bayes-autoexpire is nonsense, your pastebin would
>> have been rejected here by exceed 8.0 points (milter-rejcts score) easily
>
> but only if you manually bump scores, which most of people should not.
>
> It also does in no way indicate that bayes autoexpire is nonsense, it only
> says it's better to use BAYES (and to have it properly cofigured)

such mails are coming over years in waves with weeks and month not
appear and the tokes would expire as well as i recently faced other
rejected spam trained a year ago and not seen for a long time

>> Content analysis details:   (13.1 points, 5.5 required)
>>
>> pts rule name              description
>> ---- ----------------------
>> 7.5 BAYES_99               BODY: Bayes spam probability is 99 to 100%
>>                            [score: 1.0000]
>> 0.4 BAYES_999              BODY: Bayes spam probability is 99.9 to 100%
>>                            [score: 1.0000]
>> 2.5 HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_12     BODY: HTML: images with 800-1200 bytes of
>> words
>> 0.0 HTML_MESSAGE           BODY: HTML included in message
>> 2.5 RDNS_NONE              Delivered to internal network by a host
>> with no rDNS
>> 0.2 HTML_SHORT_LINK_IMG_1  HTML is very short with a linked image
>> 0.0 T_REMOTE_IMAGE         Message contains an external image
>
> score HTML_SHORT_LINK_IMG_1 2.215 0.139 0.480 0.001
> score RDNS_NONE 2.399 1.274 1.228 0.793
> score HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_12 1.381 1.629 1.400 2.059
> score HTML_MESSAGE 0.001
> score BAYES_99  0  0  3.8    3.5
> score BAYES_999 0  0  0.2    0.2
>
> this would give us lower scores: 5.996 3.043 7.109 6.554

3.7 for a BAYES_999 is a nice default when you start with your setup
until it is trained well enough, but later it's a joke

Re: Google Drive/Docs spam

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.

Re: Google Drive/Docs spam

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Re: Google Drive/Docs spam

Posted by Alex <my...@gmail.com>.
Oh, please note I just noticed bayes wasn't consulted for this. It's a
new system and was having some database problems, but bayes hasn't
always been effective on these anyway.

Thanks,
Alex

Re: Google Drive/Docs spam

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Wed, 17 Feb 2016, Alex wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I recall some rules that were written years ago to address these, but
> it appears they're back. We've been hit with a few, including users
> actually following the link. I was hoping someone had some
> recommendations on how to stop them.
>
> http://pastebin.com/zKWUUQ0Q

google docs, yes, google drive, I don't think so.

Also, there would need to be examples in the masscheck corpus for them to
be published.

   Our government wants to do everything it can "for the children,"
   except sparing them crushing tax burdens.
  5 days until George Washington's 284th Birthday