Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de> on 2003/10/08 10:29:03 UTC

[GT2003] Thank you

Unfortunately the GT is over now :(

I would like to take the opportunity to say a big THANK YOU
to everyone being involved especially to Steven, Marc and
Bruno (and all helping them) for organizing this great event.

The hackathon on monday was really an interesting experience.
A big thank you to Marc and Bertrand organizing and moderating
the whole day and of course to all the bug hunters helping
decreasing our outstanding issues in bugzilla! Thanks!
This showed that working together on the bugs is really very
effizient, so we should try to repeat it somehow in the
near future.

And of course: another Thank You to all attendees.

See you next year!

Carsten

Re: [GT2003] Thank you

Posted by Timothy Larson <ti...@yahoo.com>.
--- Christian Haul <ha...@informatik.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote:
> A big hand for the great team at Outerthought for organizing this unique
> and wonderful event. Thank you guys! Really looking forward for a GT2004
> in Ghent.

A big "THANK YOU" to everyone who blogged, wikied, videoed, etc.
It helped those of us who could not come not feel so far away.

I am looking forward to the virtual meetings, if I can overcome my work
firewall issues.  Since they will be on Fridays, I might be able to hook
in after work from home.

--Tim Larson

http://shopping.yahoo.com

Re: [GT2003] Thank you

Posted by Christian Haul <ha...@informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Unfortunately the GT is over now :(

A big hand for the great team at Outerthought for organizing this unique
and wonderful event. Thank you guys! Really looking forward for a GT2004
in Ghent.

	Chris.

--
C h r i s t i a n       H a u l
haul@informatik.tu-darmstadt.de

Re: [GT2003] Thank you

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jh...@virbus.de>.
At the end and after passing the Sun Java Programmer Certification I
will also join the thanking people. It was my first event related to
software development and it was so impressive. The town, the meals, the
Outerthought support (thanks, Steven, for the link and Bruno for the
plan of Gent - by the way: what's the difference between Gent and
Ghent?), the lectures, the discussions and talks and especially the
people/community. So many similar experiences other people also had when
using and escpecially when not using Cocoon!

I appreciated this event very much and am looking forward for the next
one. I can only recommend everybody to attend the next GetTogether.

Joerg

Re: [GT2003] Thank you

Posted by Thor Heinrichs-Wolpert <th...@lunartek.com>.
Thanks for the great sessions and hospitality.
Everyone involved put in a lot of work to make this a great even.  I
sure appreciated.

I'm looking forward to next years!

Cheers all,
Thor HW

Re: [GT2003] Thank you

Posted by Marcus Crafter <cr...@managesoft.com>.
Hi All!

Likewise! It was great to catch up with everyone in Ghent again. The
GetTogether was great - thanks Steven, Marc and Bruno and everyone else
involved for organising it.

Looking forward to the next event!

Cheers,

Marcus

PS. I'm addicted to those ribs again! Will have to find some place in
Frankfurt :)

Re: [GT2003] Thank you

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org>.
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>> Unfortunately the GT is over now :(
>

> Unfortunately...but thanks to everybody who helped make this a great event!

yeah, it was a very nice experience.

Thanks very much for the great hospitality

Michael

--
Michael Wechner
Wyona Ltd.  -   Open Source Content Management   -   Apache Lenya

Re: Eclipse debugging (was Re: [GT2003] Thank you)

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk>.
Steve K wrote:

> Upayavira wrote:
>
>> Start Cocoon with cocoon  servlet-debug (instead of just cocoon servlet)
>>
>> Then, in eclipse, select run/debug...
>> Click remove java application, then new at the bottom.
>> Select your cocoon project. Click apply/debug.
>

> The way I've been debugging cocoon is by extending the CocoonWrapper
> class and adding a slightly different version of the processURI()
> method that returns the status rather than throwing a
> ProcessingException on failure.  Then I have a Main class (actually,
> it is a ExcaliburTestCase class) that does the following:

One small point. The CocoonWrapper, while it does do what you need, is
not intended to be a public interface, and, after discussions at the
GetTogether, could change or be removed. I'd suggest you use (and extend
if necessary) the CocoonBean, which after all has the same functionality.

> ----
>
> CocoonTester cocoon = new CocoonTester();
> ByteArrayOutputStream baos = new ByteArrayOutputStream();
>
> cocoon.setContextDir("src/webapp");
> cocoon.setLogKit("src/webapp/WEB-INF/debug-logkit.xconf");
> cocoon.setLogger("stream");
> cocoon.initialize();
>
> cocoon.processURIStatus("test/", baos);
> System.out.println(baos.toString());

Looks simple enough. Have you tried requesting a view? E.g.:
cocoon.processURIStatus("test/?cocoon-view=links", baos);

Does that work? If it does, that means that you can access the XML as it
passes through your pipeline by just requesting specific views. If it
doesn't work, then it needs fixing.

> Note that CocoonTester is my subclass of CocoonWrapper, and
> debug-logkit.xconf is a modified version of the regular cocoon
> logkit.xconf that uses the stream target to log everything to System.out.

It all looks surprisingly neat and simple.

> This is the beginnings of my effort to come up with a way to start
> unit testing cocoon pipelines.  It is easier than dealing with remote
> debugging, and dumping all the logs to the console is helpful as well.
> I'm looking into a way to send requests to cocoon using the
> SitemapSource rather than cocoon.process() to request a page since I'd
> like to get back SAX events rather than bytes.

Hmm. That would be a bit of a challenge. Why would sax events help you?

Regards, Upayavira

Re: Eclipse debugging (was Re: [GT2003] Thank you)

Posted by Steve K <sh...@mm.st>.
Upayavira wrote:
> Start Cocoon with cocoon  servlet-debug (instead of just cocoon servlet)
>
> Then, in eclipse, select run/debug...
> Click remove java application, then new at the bottom.
> Select your cocoon project. Click apply/debug.

The way I've been debugging cocoon is by extending the CocoonWrapper
class and adding a slightly different version of the processURI() method
that returns the status rather than throwing a ProcessingException on
failure.  Then I have a Main class (actually, it is a ExcaliburTestCase
class) that does the following:

----

CocoonTester cocoon = new CocoonTester();

cocoon.setContextDir("src/webapp");
cocoon.setLogKit("src/webapp/WEB-INF/debug-logkit.xconf");
cocoon.setLogger("stream");
cocoon.initialize();

cocoon.processURIStatus("test/", baos);
System.out.println(baos.toString());

----

Note that CocoonTester is my subclass of CocoonWrapper, and
debug-logkit.xconf is a modified version of the regular cocoon
logkit.xconf that uses the stream target to log everything to System.out.

This is the beginnings of my effort to come up with a way to start unit
testing cocoon pipelines.  It is easier than dealing with remote
debugging, and dumping all the logs to the console is helpful as well.
I'm looking into a way to send requests to cocoon using the
SitemapSource rather than cocoon.process() to request a page since I'd
like to get back SAX events rather than bytes.

cheers,
-steve

Re: [SUMMARY] How-to debug cocoon with eclipse

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk>.
Great.

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk>.

Re: [GT2003] Thank you

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.
Sylvain Wallez dijo:

Re: [GT2003] Thank you

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.
Andrew Savory dijo:
> On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> Problem is finding a server with the required bandwidth for what will
>> certainly be very big even with a high compression ratio.
>
> We have already got permission from the infrastructure@apache guys to
> hammer the ASF bandwidth.

Great!

Antonio Gallardo

Re: [GT2003] Thank you

Posted by Andrew Savory <an...@luminas.co.uk>.
On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Problem is finding a server with the required bandwidth for what will
> certainly be very big even with a high compression ratio.

We have already got permission from the infrastructure@apache guys to
hammer the ASF bandwidth.

Andrew.

Orixo alliance: http://www.orixo.com/          Web:    www.luminas.co.uk

Re: [GT2003] Thank you

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

>> Unfortunately the GT is over now :(

Great event, nice people, cool meeting. The whole thing was filmed by
Stefano, and the videos should be made available for download so that
everybody can have a feeling of what happened. Problem is finding a
server with the required bandwidth for what will certainly be very big
even with a high compression ratio. Something that *must* be looked at
is David Casal's amazing "Pipelined fugues" presentation with live
on-stage piano performance.

> Unfortunately...but thanks to everybody who helped make this a great
> event!
> I have a feeling that GT2003 will be The Day Of The Cocoon Web
> Application for many people.

Yep. I was amazed by the number of people coming to me after my Woody
presentation, asking questions, proposing enhancements, use cases, etc.
This is a real need, and we seem to have a real solution now.

>> ...This showed that working together on the bugs is really very
>> effizient, so we should try to repeat it somehow in the near future....
>

> Yes, agreed. A monthly "virtual hackathon" as suggested by David
> Crossley would be good, stay tuned...

And we're expecting from you proposals for creative usage of
collaboration tools to help this ;-)

Thanks to all participants of this great event, and see you next year!

Sylvain

Re: [GT2003] Thank you

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
> Unfortunately the GT is over now :(

Unfortunately...but thanks to everybody who helped make this a great
event!
I have a feeling that GT2003 will be The Day Of The Cocoon Web
Application for many people.

> ...This showed that working together on the bugs is really very
> effizient, so we should try to repeat it somehow in the
> near future....

Yes, agreed. A monthly "virtual hackathon" as suggested by David
Crossley would be good, stay tuned...

-Bertrand