Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Kai Müller <km...@mediadom.de> on 2000/11/30 17:21:56 UTC

Thread handling question

Hi,

I try to understand how Tomcat 3.1 handles requests. I made the
following test:

I send a large amount of requests (JavaScript reloads, 5 per second over
a period of several minutes) from one user to Tomcat.

Result WITHOUT ThreadPool (SimpleTcpConnector):
the number of java processes (threads) increases. If I don't stop the
server crashes. If I stop after a while Tomcat needs some time to
regenerate respectively to work off the threads. Then I can continue.

Result WITH ThreadPool (PoolTcpConnector):
the number of java processes doen't increase to nirvana. If the limit is
adapted (on my 166 MHz ;-) max_threads=15 is ok) Tomcat does not crash.
But: when I stop the requests it needs nevertheless some time to
regenerate. Why? Does it kill the threads then and my PC is too slow? I
thought, all threads are killed immediately if there are more than
max_threads. After a while I can continue.

Can someone explain me in easy words these behaviours? Thank you.

What about Tomcat 3.2 (announced today) and thread pooling? Is it
similar?

Kai Müller

--

Mediadom audiovisuelle Medien GmbH
Merheimer Str. 151

Re: Thread handling question

Posted by Aleksey Tsalolikhin <at...@earthlink.net>.
On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 05:21:56PM +0100, Kai Müller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I try to understand how Tomcat 3.1 handles requests.
[...]
> What about Tomcat 3.2 (announced today) and thread pooling? Is it
> similar?

Dear Kai,

    Check out the "Use a Thread Pool in your Connectors" section in
Tomcat User's Guide at
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/jakarta-tomcat/src/doc/uguide/tomcat_ug.html,
it describes how 3.2's thread pool works.

Sincerely,
Aleksey

Freebsd and mod_jk

Posted by AC <sm...@lisea.com>.
I've just downloaded the 3.2 release on my Frebse 4.1 and I was trying to
use the mod_jk insetad mod_jserv.
After following the instructions I've compiled with the Freebsd Makefile
and include in my http.conf th Load module directive.

This is the response I get

apachectl configtest
Syntax error on line 3 of /usr/local/tomcat32/conf/mod_jk.conf:
Cannot load /usr/local/libexec/apache/mod_jk.so into server:
/usr/local/libexec/apache/mod_jk.so: Undefined symbol "map_name_at"

thanks
andrea