Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Niranjan Rao <nh...@gmail.com> on 2011/07/07 05:29:35 UTC

Setting up internal repository

Hi folks,

I have been researching options for setting up internal maven repository
- free software. Based on my research it seems like nexus is most
recommended choice.

Wondering if people here have any opinions/suggestions.

Ours is a small setup with less than 20 developers. Ideally we would
like to share servers for multiple tasks and would prefer if we can put
behind apache.

We have limited/slow network bandwidth and is one of the important
reasons for setting up the repository. Other reasons such as using same
versions of dependencies etc are of course valid reasons.

Regards,

Niranjan

Re: Setting up internal repository

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
I am a big fan of Nexus.
It makes Maven actually fun to use.
We used it with a very small team of 4 people.
My only regret is that we did not install it as soon as we started with
Maven. It would have saved a lot of grief.
The free version works very well. We have had absolutely no problems
with our installation.

FOLLOW THE INSTALLATION DIRECTIONS CAREFULLY. It is not a typical
website and if you don't pay attention, you will have to fix it up
before it works.

We have it behind a firewall remote from our development office which
has its own firewall as well.
We also use it from our homes as well with no added fuss.
No problems.
It exposes its own port rather than running through Apache.

We have several repositories defined and aggregated through a repository
group.

The user interface is very nicely structured and it is easy for
developers to use with almost no training.
The documentation is very clear.

Ron

Posted by Aldrin Leal <al...@leal.eng.br>.
Here, we often install nexus under a standard tomcat install, and it just
works, sometimes sharing with Jenkins.

Seems not to be a problem, compared to other heavy-weights like the ones
from a major Java Tools supplier I wouldn't dare to name here, which end up
needing to use a full, stand-alone install for each instance.

--
-- Aldrin Leal, <al...@leal.eng.br> / http://www.leal.eng.br/mnemetica/

Posted by Niranjan Rao <nh...@gmail.com>.
Barrie,