Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Maurizio Calcara <m....@cgsgroup.it> on 2000/07/03 11:32:47 UTC

Re: HANDLER THREAD PROBLEM

Hi Rob,
thank's for your help.
Unfortunately I'm trying to use ajpv12 as communication protocol
(ajpv12://localhost:8007), but Netscape says "Netscape is unable to
locate the server ajpv12:.".
Are there other configurations that have to be made on the server ??

Thank you again,
    Maurizio

--

dr. Maurizio Calcara
m.calcara@cgsgroup.it

Re: HANDLER THREAD PROBLEM

Posted by Maurizio Calcara <m....@cgsgroup.it>.
Hi Ed, hi Rob,
Thank's for your support. Now it is clear how I have to use the
mod_jeserv.so and, finally,  it is *WORKING* fine.   I think it was
working before too, but I didin't use it correclty.  :-)
Thank you again.

--

dr. Maurizio Calcara
m.calcara@cgsgroup.it

RE: HANDLER THREAD PROBLEM

Posted by "Rob S." <rs...@home.com>.
Maurizio,

As a supplement to Ed's very-well-put replies on this thread...

The form of a URL is:  protocol://hostname:portnumber/path

When you talk to a webserver, like Apache, with your browser, you are using
the HTTP protocol, which is why you type in:

http://www.RobSlifka.com/GodFatherOfSoul/

Here, protocol = http, hostname = www.RobSlifka.com, port = 80 ("well-known"
/ default for the HTTP protocol), and path = /GodFatherOfSoul/

What you're telling your browser to do is to use the HTTP protocol to carry
out communications with the host www.RobSlifka.com on port 80, and you are
requesting the contents of the path /GodFatherOfSoul.

Now, think about what you're attemping with Netscape.  From your web
browser, you're trying to talk to Tomcat on port 8007 by using the AJPV12
protocol.  ***This protocol is not used for communication from a web browser
to a web server***.  This is a protocol used by Tomcat/JServ/Apache for
internal communication ***ONLY***.  The *only only only* time you need deal
with AJP is making sure that Tomcat has an AJP listen port (8007 by default,
and is obviously working with your setup or else Tomcat wouldn't be giving
you the HANDLER THREAD exceptions) and that Apache is set to communicate
with it.  Other than that, you never ever ever need to even think about
AJPV12, let alone type it in anywhere.

Hope this helps!

- r

Re: HANDLER THREAD PROBLEM

Posted by Maurizio Calcara <m....@cgsgroup.it>.
    Hi Ed,

--

dr. Maurizio Calcara
m.calcara@cgsgroup.it

Re: HANDLER THREAD PROBLEM

Posted by Ed <ed...@jsq.co.uk>.
[...]

  Unfortunately I try to talk *only* with the server (by using ajpv12://localhost) but Netscape seems  to try to use the http protocol to locate the server and it says   again:  "Netscape is unable to locate the server ajpv12:.".
  Is there any setting has to be made into the "http.conf" file (apart the "include tomcat-apache.conf") .
  Thanks.

    You should not be trying to directly communicate to the 8007 port at all.  Stop it.  You talk to the web-server then *it* talks to the 8007 port.  It is supposed to be transaparent.

[...]

IT Manager - CGS sas
 via S.Cecilia, 16
56124 - Pisa (Italy)
Fax: +39 050 573854