Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org> on 2006/01/16 02:42:17 UTC

[VOTE] AJAX Toolkit Proposal - Updated

The discussion has died down, and the time has come to call for a VOTE
to see if the incubator wants to sponsor and accept this proposal for
incubation.

Recap:
  * This has been scaled back - no umbrella or Eclipse plugins here.
    If accepted, it will be entirely up to the ASF to determine how
    this will evolve.
  * This is not meant to be exlusive - other related efforts are
    welcome to merge or continue separately.  Furthermore, no ASF
    projects will be coerced into using this code.
  * This is to be evaluted for acceptance into incubation, not against
    criteria for exiting incubator.  I've intentionally counciled for
    this proposal to present a realistic assessment of the current state,
    so everybody can best determine how to focus incubation efforts.

It is customary to allow at least 72 hours for a vote, so lets see if
we can get all votes in by 11:59pm PST on Thursday, Jan 19th.

My vote: +1

- Sam Ruby

Posted by Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de>.
On 17.01.2006, at 03:12, Sam Ruby wrote:

> Erik Abele wrote:
>> On 16.01.2006, at 02:42, Sam Ruby wrote:
>>> The discussion has died down, and the time has come to call for
>>> a  VOTE to see if the incubator wants to sponsor and accept this
>>> proposal for incubation.
>> As Roy and Leo (and others?) already noted, the proposal as sent
>> is  lacking some vital information - so for the time being I'd
>> like to  express another -1 here (peanut-gallery, yada yada...).
>
> The questions to date (which proposal are we talking about?  Does
> it identify the committers and mentors by name?  Is it on the wiki)
> are all answered here:
>
>   http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/AjaxProposal
>
> Note: this does *not* address Roy's concern that the name
> represents a general category instead of a simple product name.

This is a lot better; I missed your follow-up while replying and the
former one didn't include any links...

Cheers,
Erik

Re: [VOTE] AJAX Toolkit Proposal - Updated

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
+1 on the proposal. I am assuming that the project
will not have a generic technology name (Roy's point)
but I'm not withholding my vote for that.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.

Posted by Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me.

-- dims

PS: why was eclipse plugins removed? (/me lazy to browse all the emails again!)

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 08:42:17PM -0500, Sam Ruby wrote:
> The discussion has died down, and the time has come to call for a VOTE
> to see if the incubator wants to sponsor and accept this proposal for
> incubation.

Looking at the wiki page and a cursory glance at the source, my question is
one of scope:

Where does Ajax Toolkit fit in the entire development/content model?

(FWIW, I'd no problems calling it AjaxTK if Zimbra permitted.)

I see .java files - that has nothing to do with AJAX, so I'm sort of
confused.  I'd be expecting to see, well, only JavaScript.  So, I'm not
so sure that the following statement is accurate:

  The Zimbra AJAX Development Toolkit provides a rich client library, similar
  in style to traditional object-oriented widget libraries like Eclipse's
  SWT. This toolkit hides implementation details and browser quirks and makes
  web development more accessible to the enterprise developer. It provides

If it has .java files, it isn't a 'client library'.  So, I want to make
sure we clarify where the boundaries are, so stupid people like me can make
calls as to whether there's scope creep or not.  -- justin

RE: [VOTE] AJAX Toolkit Proposal - Updated

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> we get an umbrella every time we approve a project named
> after a technology *space* instead of a product.

Just to nitpick, I feel that the Directory project has done a fine job of
avoiding umbrella-ship, despite serving up a number of directory service
related protocols and services within their unified server.  And we have
managed to created an umbrella that isn't named after a technology space.

	--- Noel

Re: [VOTE] AJAX Toolkit Proposal - Updated

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
On Jan 15, 2006, at 5:42 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:

> The discussion has died down, and the time has come to call for a
> VOTE to see if the incubator wants to sponsor and accept this
> proposal for incubation.

Is the proposal updated in the wiki?
Does it contain all of the committers and mentors, by name?
Are we all talking about the same proposal?

-1

I have decided that, from now on, I am going to vote -1 for any
proposals that use a general category as a name instead of a
simple product name.  I don't like umbrellas, and we get an umbrella
every time we approve a project named after a technology *space*
instead of a product.

....Roy

Re: [VOTE] AJAX Toolkit Proposal - Updated

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
-1.

* There is no proposal in this email nor a URL reference to one. It
  looks like an attachment was stripped or something. Attachments suck.

* it should have a different name from "AJAX toolkit" (and someone
  should update whatever docs we have to note that projects should have
  distinctive names). IIRC someone mentioned that already before.

So ehm, phrased a little differently...

* could we get a diff between the original and the revised proposal?

* where is the revised proposal?

* some work to do still, one easily spotted, might be others? This feels
  like yet another warning sign that makes me just a tad uncomfortable...

Yes, I'm being lazy. I sometimes get like that when I have just 72 hours
to respond and thousands of emails in a backlog :-)

- LSD

PS: And Ross, dude, you're just talking to a bunch of hackers, "to whom it
may concern" is a phrase that actually gets .5 points from my spamassassin
filter :-)

Posted by br...@e-wire.net.au.
> On 17.01.2006, at 03:55, David Crossley wrote:
>
>> Erik Abele wrote:
>>>
>>> +1 - I don't know how to add this to the incubator-site myself (is
>>> anakia now ready to use?) but I'd really like to see this somewhere
>>> on incubator.a.o, e.g. http://incubator.apache.org/faq.html...
>>
>> Not yet ready. Lack of staff:
>>  http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=113719647000002
>>  "Incubator site status wrt a move to Anakia?"
>>
>> So continue with the current method. Edit the existing source
>> and leave the generation to someone else:
>> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/website.html
>
> I don't have karma for that part of the repo (though I could
> certainly add myself to it) - any takers?

I will send a patch in later today (I'm GMT+8.00) if no-one beats me to
it, work at the moment so can't right this minute. I've not the karma but
hope the patch will help anyway.

Gav...

Posted by Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Erik Abele wrote:

> +1 - I don't know how to add this to the incubator-site myself (is
> anakia now ready to use?) but I'd really like to see this somewhere
> on incubator.a.o, e.g. http://incubator.apache.org/faq.html...

Not yet ready. Lack of staff:
 http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=113719647000002
 "Incubator site status wrt a move to Anakia?"

So continue with the current method. Edit the existing source
and leave the generation to someone else:
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/website.html

-David

Re: [VOTE] AJAX Toolkit Proposal - Updated

Posted by Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de>.
On 17.01.2006, at 00:33, Sam Ruby wrote:

> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>> We seem to agree on the rest, but the proposal should make it clear,
>> since those are points that appear to concern (some) others.
>
> To be honest, I would rather those points be placed on an general
> incubator page as they apply to every proposal.
>
> * No codebase within the ASF is to be considered an exclusive location
>   for a general technology within the ASF.

'No codebase' plus 'or project' to catch umbrella's we still have...

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Sam Ruby wrote:
>
>>To be honest, I would rather those points be placed on an general
>>incubator page as they apply to every proposal.
>
> Jean just took care of that, using your wording.  :-)

I take no credit for that wording.  I simply took *your* wording, and
de-AJAXed it.

- Sam Ruby

Re: [VOTE] AJAX Toolkit Proposal - Updated

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Sam Ruby wrote:
>

>>To be honest, I would rather those points be placed on an general
>>incubator page as they apply to every proposal.
>

> Jean just took care of that, using your wording.  :-)

actually, thanks to Gavin's patch posted to INCUBATOR-13 (Thanks, Gavin!)

  -jean

RE: [VOTE] AJAX Toolkit Proposal - Updated

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Sam,

> > - we need to appropriately name the project.

> Sure, let's name it after a region in the south pacific

Truk?  JAAT?  [Just Another AJAX Toolkit]  I don't care.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Sam,
>
> As others have suggested, please attach the proposal.  Is this a vote
> on the proposal contained in

> posted by Ross Dargahi on January 11, 2006?

Yes, and I've copy and pasted it below.

I'd put it in the wiki, but that requires a name.  ;-)

> I believe that many of the complaints people have raised previously,
> or currently, can be addressed by renaming the thing to something
> that doesn't seem to co-opt a category (AJAX) for a project.  No one
> knows how the project will evolve, but at least initially, the
> codebase is a specific donation, although we cannot use that name
> because it is also the name of the donating company.
>
> As I understand it, there is a general consensus that:
>
> - we need to appropriately name the project.

Sure, let's name it after a region in the south pacific, as we all know
that prevents the formation of an umbrella project (just having a little
fun here...).

Perhaps Andy can suggest a cool Japanese word (or location name)?

> - recognize that it is just one toolkit, not an exclusive location
> for the general technology within the ASF.

+1

> - the initial codebase is just that: initial.  Once the code is here,
> if people feel that the code sucks or the architecture sucks, or
> whatever else someone wants to complain about, all parties understood
> that the future direction of the architecture and code is, as is
> everything at the ASF, subject to communal will.

+1

> - Other contributors interested in AJAX, with or without existing
> codebases, are free to contribute, or to propose additional
> AJAX-related projects.

+1

> I do see clear interest in AJAX.  Portals, MyFaces, and others (plus
> I know of an outside project or two that would be interested in
> contributing), can all make use of AJAX.  Whether or not *this*
> project provides anything useful to them will depend on who
> participates and where the project goes as it evolves.

+1

- Sam Ruby

----

AJAX Toolkit Proposal

0. Rationale

While the term AJAX (Asynchronous Javascript and XML) has only recently
been coined, the underlying web standards and technologies (JavaScript
a.k.a. ECMAScript, DOM, XML, SOAP, and so on) have been around for
years. Although the term is used in a variety of ways, AJAX typically
describes techniques towards developing interactive applications on the
web client including asynchronous messaging, use of XML grammar in
client-side applications, incremental page updates, and improved user
interface controls. AJAX applications combine the rich UI experience of
programmed clients with the low-cost lifecycle management of web-based
applications.

AJAX has raised awareness of the high potential of web applications, it
has encouraged companies to adopt rich web-based interfaces over
traditional "fat" clients, and it has spawned development activity to
create toolkits and abstractions to make AJAX-style development easier
and more powerful. This is an important trend for open source. The
client itself can be composed entirely of open-source parts, such as
Mozilla's Firefox or KDE's Konqueror, and does not require any
particular operating system, helping to make a more level playing field
for all development. More importantly, AJAX is back-end agnostic as
transactions are done over HTTP. Keeping the client open forces vendors
to keep the communication channel open as well, and this can only
continue as long as the client technology keeps pace with proprietary
alternatives. The open, standards based communications channel is what
drives many technologies inside Apache, so success of the open client is
vital to Apache. The mission of this project is to encourage innovation
around enterprise-strength client runtimes and tools and build a
community which can select and nurture a select set which will be most
beneficial to the web.

0.1 Criteria

Meritocracy:

Apache was chosen for an incubator primarily because of the guidance the
community can provide.

Community:

The contributed work was inspired by open source development but needs a
strong and diverse community to validate its mission and carry it
forward. A primary objective of the project is to build a vibrant
community of users and active contributors.

Core Developers:

All of the initial committers are members of the Zimbra development team
s . All developers have worked on open source projects before and have
experience and understanding of open source principles.

Alignment:

The Zimbra AJAX Development Toolkit provides a rich client library,
similar in style to traditional object-oriented widget libraries like
Eclipse's SWT. This toolkit hides implementation details and browser
quirks and makes web development more accessible to the enterprise
developer. It provides

* User interface development
* Network communications (both synchronous and asynchronous)
* SOAP programming
* XML document creation and manipulation
* UI event handling and management

For further information, please see the Zimbra AjaxTK whitepaper:
http://www.zimbra.com/pdf/Zimbra%20AJAX%20TK%20Whitepaper.pdf

0.2 Warning signs

Orphaned products:

The initial committers are users of this toolkit and have a long-term
interest in use and maintenance of the code.

Inexperience with open source:

Several of the commiters are very experienced in Open Source
environment. All efforts will be made to ensure that the work done and
momentum will be in strict adherence to open source guidelines.

Homogenous developers:

The current list of committers includes developers who are experienced
with working in a distributed environment, and with resolving technical
differences.

Reliance on salaried developers:

The initial set of committers are salaried developers. Through the
incubation process, more diversity will hopefully be achieved in many
aspects, including reliance on salaried developers.

No ties to other Apache products:

The initial codebase will be licensed under the Apache License 2.0.
While there are no direct build dependencies on other Apache projects,
the development of AJAX clients will often be driven by Apache
middleware and will have a positive impact on the open source movement
as described in the "Rationale" section.

A fascination with the Apache brand:

The committers are intent on developing a strong open source community.
We believe that the Apache Software Foundation's emphasis on community
development makes it the most suitable choice.

1. Scope of the subprojects

The Zimbra AjaxTK, as described in 0.1.

2. Identify the initial source from which the subprojects are to be
populated

The Zimbra AjaxTK is available today in open source, and can be
downloaded at
http://www.zimbra.com/community/downloads.php (See Zimbra Ajax Toolkit
Download).
(A snapshot of the AJAX toolkit code is also available via
http://www.apache.org/~rubys/ajax/Ajax.tar.gz)

2.1 External Dependencies of the project

None.

3. Identify the ASF resources to be created

3.1 mailing list(s)

* ajaxtk-ppmc
* ajaxtk-dev
* ajaxtk-commits
* ajaxtk-user

3.2 Subversion repository

* [WWW] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ajaxtk

3.3 Bugzilla

* AJAXTK (AJAXTK)

4. Identify the initial set of committers:

* Andrew Clark
* Conrad Damon
* Ross Dargahi
* Roland Schemers
* Parag Shah
* Greg Solovyev

5. Identify Apache sponsoring individual

We request that the Apache Incubator PMC sponsor the AJAX Toolkit
Framework as an
incubating project, with the eventual goal of graduation as a TLP. The
initial contributors feel the scope of the project doesn't clearly
overlap with any existing TLP, and is broad enough to justify eventual
TLP status.

Champion: Sam Ruby

Mentors: Andy Clark

RE: [VOTE] AJAX Toolkit Proposal - Updated

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Sam,

[...]

   propose additional AJAX-related projects.