Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Carmela Stuart <c....@CableLabs.com> on 2004/05/13 22:14:36 UTC

Downloading a file using a web browser

When I browse the repository using my web browser, the contents of a
text file are rendered in my browser.  Is there an easy way to have the
file downloaded to my local machine from the server instead of rendering
it in my browser using only my browser (without using the svn client
directly).?

Thanks,

Carmela

Re: Downloading a file using a web browser

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Thu, 2004-05-13 at 17:14, Carmela Stuart wrote:
> When I browse the repository using my web browser, the contents of a
> text file are rendered in my browser.

This is has nothing to do with Subversion, but rather how to use your
web browser.  Instead of left-clicking on a filename, try right-clicking
and  "saving file as..." or "downloading target..".  The terminology
varies from browser to browser.

Re: Downloading a file using a web browser

Posted by Toby Johnson <to...@etjohnson.us>.
Carmela Stuart wrote:

> When I browse the repository using my web browser, the contents of a
> text file are rendered in my browser.  Is there an easy way to have
> the file downloaded to my local machine from the server instead of
> rendering it in my browser using only my browser (without using the
> svn client directly).?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Carmela

When determining whether to display or download a file, your web browser
looks at its MIME type as reported by the server in the "Content-Type"
HTTP header. Assuming you're using Apache as your server, you can modify
Apache's config to send different MIME types for different files, and/or
use the "svn:mime-type" property
(http://svnbook.red-bean.com/svnbook/book.html#svn-ch-7-sect-2.3.2) of
individual files to tell Apache how to set the Content-Type header.

However, setting these to a non-text setting will cause Subversion to
treat these files as binary, which probably isn't what you want. I would
definitely look into having Apache override the MIME types for the
specific locations you're interested in.

toby