Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Márcio Paulino <mc...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/29 21:25:34 UTC

SOLR or Hibernate Search?

Hey Everyone!

I was make a comparison of both technologies (SOLR AND Hibernate Search) and
i see many things are equals. Anyone could told me when i must use SOLR and
when i must use Hibernate Search?

Im my project i will have:

1. Queries for indexed fields (Strings) and for not indexed Fields (Integer,
Float, Date). [In Hibernate Search on in SOLR, i must search on index and,
with results of query, search on database (I can't search in both places ate
same time).]
I Will Have search like:
"Give me all Register Where Value < 190 And Name Contains = 'JAVA' "

2. My client need process a lot of email (20.000 per day) and i must indexed
all fields (excluded sentDate ) included Attachments, and performance is
requirement of my System

3. My Application is multiclient, and i need to separate the index by
client.

In this Scenario, whats the best solution? SOLR or HIbernateSearch

I See SOLR is a dedicated server and has a good performance test. I don't
see advantages to use hibernate-search in comparison with SOLR (Except the
fact of integrate with my Mapped Object)

Thanks for Help

--
att,

Márcio Paulino
Campo Grande - MS
MSN / Gtalk: mcopaulino@gmail.com
ICQ: 155897898

Re: SOLR or Hibernate Search?

Posted by Kiwi de coder <ki...@gmail.com>.
hi,

hibernate search is only work with hibernate, while solr can use for
difference system other then hibernate (loose coupling)

current solr still not support complex POJO index like what hibernate did.

1) I think one way u can do is index on solr and retrieve the unique id and
get from database. e.g. "select enetity form table where id in (x, y) "

2) i not yet test out, but i do believe lucene performance is quite good and
it still keep improving (u can add more search server if u using solr)

3) maybe solr is more suitable in u case.

hope this help

kiwi

Re: SOLR or Hibernate Search?

Posted by Márcio Paulino <mc...@gmail.com>.
Hi!

Thanks for the answers. These were crucial to my decision. I've adapted the
solr in my application.

Re: SOLR or Hibernate Search?

Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.