Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Utkarsh Gupta <Ut...@infosys.com> on 2013/01/10 09:41:40 UTC

Limitation of key-value pairs for a particular key.

Hi,

I am using Apache Hadoop 1.0.4 on a 10 node cluster of commodity machines with Ubuntu 12.04 Server edition. I am having a issue with my map reduce code. While debugging I found that the reducer can take 262145 values for a particular key. If more values are there, they seem to be corrupted. I checked the values while emitting from map and again checked in reducer.
I am wondering is there any such kind of limitation in the Hadoop or is it a configuration problem.

Thanks and Regards
Utkarsh Gupta

Infosys e-mail system.

RE: Limitation of key-value pairs for a particular key.

Posted by Sven Groot <sg...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I think I know what's going on here. It has to do with how many spills the
map task performs.

You are emitting the numbers in order, so if there is only one spill, they
stay in order. For larger number of records, the map task will create more
than one spill, which must be merged. During the merge, the original order
is not preserved.

If you want the original order to be preserved, you must set io.sort.mb
and/or io.sort.record.percent such that the map task requires only a single
spill.

Cheers,

Sven

Posted by Utkarsh Gupta <Ut...@infosys.com>.
You are right
Actually we were expecting the values to be sorted.
We tried to reproduce the problem by this simple code
private final IntWritable one=new IntWritable(1);
        private Text word=new Text();
        @Override
        public void map(LongWritable key,Text value, Context context) throws IOException, InterruptedException {
            int N=30000;
            for(int i=0;i<N;i++)
            {
                word.set(i+"");
                System.out.println(i);
                context.write(one,word);
            }
        }

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.

<Ut...@infosys.com>wrote:

>  Hi,****
>
> ** **
>
> I am using Apache Hadoop 1.0.4 on a 10 node cluster of commodity machines
> with Ubuntu 12.04 Server edition. I am having a issue with my map reduce
> code. While debugging I found that the reducer can take 262145 values for a
> particular key. If more values are there, they seem to be corrupted. I
> checked the values while emitting from map and again checked in reducer.**
> **
>
> I am wondering is there any such kind of limitation in the Hadoop or is it
> a configuration problem.****
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> Thanks and Regards****