Posted to dev@marmotta.apache.org by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com> on 2020/10/21 04:46:26 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] The Future of Apache Marmotta - Move to Attic?

On 2020/04/14 12:30:48, Jakob Frank <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Apache Marmotta, an open Platform for Linked Data. This is how the
> project started in December 2012 when it entered the Apache Incubator.
> It was a state-of-the-art (and partially beyond) software platform.
> A SQL-based triple store with a performant SPARQL-Implementation. You
> could run SPARQL-Queries on a full DBpedia import!
> With ld-path and ld-cache we offered libraries that allow to consume
> linked data in real-world usecases.
> And last but not least, Apache Marmotta became (and is) a reference
> implementation of the Linked Data Platform (W3C-Rec.) [2]
>
> In the last years, Apache Marmotta has been dormant. The latest release
> was in June 2018. The last commit also. Also the mailing-lists have been
> silent for several months now.
> All these are signals that it's time to consider moving the project to
> the Attic [2].
>
> If volunteers are willing to step up and continue the project, now is
> the (last) chance to do so. I'd be happy to help transitioning the
> project management to new heads!
> Otherwise I'll prepare to move the project to the Attic in with the May
> board report.
>
> Best,
> Jakob
>
> [1]
> <https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/ldpwg/raw-file/default/tests/reports/ldp.html#subj_8>
> [2] <https://attic.apache.org/>

Hi all,

It has been six months since the above email. Although there were a
couple positive responses, it doesn't seem like those were followed
through by activity or contributions to development. Is that right?

It could be that there is not enough of the PMC remaining to onboard
new contributors, or it's possible that folks lost interest.

In any case, at Apache, we require at least three people in an
active PMC. We usually ask for a formal roll call in this situation,
as described in

   https://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#roll-call

but this thread has already established a lack of PMC activity.

Jakob, I am going to leave this up to you. If you think the project
is ready to move to the attic, please say so and I will add the
appropriate board resolution. If not (or you are unsure), please
initiate a roll call of the PMC and send a summary to the board.

For everyone else, please understand that moving a project to
the attic doesn't mean the code disappears -- you are free to
copy it from the attic, just like here, and even create a new
project based on it within Incubator (or anywhere else if you
change the package names). It just means we aren't pretending
to have an active community maintaining that software.

Cheers,

....Roy T. Fielding, Chairman, The Apache Software Foundation

Re: [DISCUSS] The Future of Apache Marmotta - Move to Attic?

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
> On Feb 24, 2021, at 5:25 PM, Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> I guess it's obvious that the core community has moved out. The question is: is there enough support for keeping the project running or we should move it to the Attic?

Hi Sergio,

The ASF Board moved Marmotta to the attic in November. Normally, someone
would have posted that to dev already, but the Attic itself is understaffed at
the moment (as are most open source activities since the pandemic began).

As always, it's never too late to revive a project if you start actively working
on it again and can find some folks to collaborate with.

Cheers,

....Roy

Re: [DISCUSS] The Future of Apache Marmotta - Move to Attic?

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alain Bouju <al...@univ-lr.fr>.
Hi all,