Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Marc Fromm <Ma...@wwu.edu> on 2012/11/01 21:31:10 UTC

[users@httpd] htaccess file trouble

I have some .htaccess files in directories in /var/www/html which work great.
I create an .htaccess file in /var/www/secure/html/phpPgAdmin/ but it is being ignored.

I checked all the common mistakes like misspelled, syntax, and AllowOverride is set to All.
I am using: httpd-2.2.6-1.fc6 (I know it's old)

Any ideas on why the .htaccess file seems to be ignored in the secure area?

Thanks

Marc

RE: [users@httpd] htaccess file trouble

Posted by Marc Fromm <Ma...@wwu.edu>.
AllowOverride set to All in the /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf file

Is there a yum repository for this mod_info?

Thanks
> I have some .htaccess files in directories in /var/www/html which work
> great.
>
> I create an .htaccess file in /var/www/secure/html/phpPgAdmin/ but it
> is being ignored.
>

> I checked all the common mistakes like misspelled, syntax, and
> AllowOverride is set to All.

In which configuration file is AllowOverride set to All?

We could guess at this all day, but the most prudent course of action is probably to install mod_info, which should make tracking-down the root-cause trivial.

Posted by Ben Johnson <be...@indietorrent.org>.
On 11/1/2012 6:30 PM, Marc Fromm wrote:
> It looks like mod_info is installed (/usr/lib/httpd/modules/mod_info.so)
> How can I use it to see why the .htaccess file is being ignored?

Firstly, be sure that the module is actually enabled.

As far as specific directives are concerned, here's how I do it; I add
these directives to my primary Apache configuration file:

<IfModule mod_info.c>
<Location /server-info>
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
SetHandler server-info
SSLOptions +StrictRequire
SSLRequireSSL
SSLRequire %{HTTP_HOST} eq "example.com"
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Authorization Required"
AuthBasicProvider dbm
AuthDBMType DB
AuthDBMUserFile "/var/www/apache-users"
AuthDBMGroupFile "/var/www/apache-users"
require group programmers
</Location>
</IfModule>

Tailor to suit your specific requirements.

If you're using Apache 2.4, you will need to change the first two lines
inside the <Location> block, as 2.4 uses a different syntax.

Good luck!

-Ben

Posted by Marc Fromm <Ma...@wwu.edu>.

Posted by Ben Johnson <be...@indietorrent.org>.