Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Costin Leau <co...@gmail.com> on 2006/01/18 17:47:30 UTC

Re[4]: workspace already exists

> On 1/18/06, Costin Leau <co...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Indeed - the problem appears if the server suffered a forced shutdown
>> (think of power turned off). What can I do in these cases where the
>> repository might be in a inconsistent state ? How can I recover my
>> information?

> if you're using a transactional pm (e.g. DerbyPersistenceManager)
> you should be pretty safe wrt corrupted repository state after abnormal
> process termination.

> however, in your case you seem to end up with disappearing workspace.xml
> files which is pretty weird. i have no idea how this could happen.
> you'll have to investigate yourself i'm afraid since i don't know your
> environment.
I'm using XML PM with jr transactional support. If this PM doesn't
support transactions shouldn't I be warned about it?

Another aspect is that the problem seems to occur not during writing
but actually because the repository internals don't flush all the
information to disk because the VM stops too fast (tomcat is shutdown
with -force argument).
I'll investigate this problem further and come back if I have any questions.

--
Best regards,
 Costin                            mailto:costin.leau@gmail.com

Re: workspace already exists

Posted by Martin Perez <mp...@gmail.com>.
Sorry for the question if it's trivial, because I haven't got time yet to
update my PM to Derby one, but, how can I enable transactions? Is it
documented? If it's document feel free to send me a RTFM response :)

Martin.

Posted by Brian Moseley <bc...@osafoundation.org>.

Posted by Marcel Reutegger <ma...@gmx.net>.
Stefan Guggisberg wrote:
> On 1/18/06, Costin Leau <co...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>I'm using XML PM with jr transactional support. If this PM doesn't
>>support transactions shouldn't I be warned about it?
>

> you are right. transaction support of the various persistence managers
> is not very well documented. that's something that should be improved.

there is a wiki page that lists the properties of the different
persistence managers:

http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/PersistenceManagerFAQ

regards
  marcel

Re: Re[4]: workspace already exists

Posted by Stefan Guggisberg <st...@gmail.com>.
On 1/18/06, Costin Leau <co...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On 1/18/06, Costin Leau <co...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Indeed - the problem appears if the server suffered a forced shutdown
> >> (think of power turned off). What can I do in these cases where the
> >> repository might be in a inconsistent state ? How can I recover my
> >> information?
>
> > if you're using a transactional pm (e.g. DerbyPersistenceManager)
> > you should be pretty safe wrt corrupted repository state after abnormal
> > process termination.
>
> > however, in your case you seem to end up with disappearing workspace.xml
> > files which is pretty weird. i have no idea how this could happen.
> > you'll have to investigate yourself i'm afraid since i don't know your
> > environment.
> I'm using XML PM with jr transactional support. If this PM doesn't
> support transactions shouldn't I be warned about it?

you are right. transaction support of the various persistence managers
is not very well documented. that's something that should be improved.

> Another aspect is that the problem seems to occur not during writing
> but actually because the repository internals don't flush all the
> information to disk because the VM stops too fast (tomcat is shutdown
> with -force argument).
> I'll investigate this problem further and come back if I have any questions.

ok.

cheers
stefan