Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Christian Stocker <ch...@bitflux.ch> on 2003/09/24 13:42:33 UTC

Editor Interfaces (Was: Proposal to remove Xopus and Bitflux Editor)

On 9/23/03 2:33 PM, Christian Egli wrote:

> Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org> writes:
>

>>Concerning just one editor: I think it would be a big mistake just to
>>offer an interface with regard to one specific editor.
>>The power of Lenya is to support all kind of editors: Xopus, Bitflux
>>Editor, Mozile, Midas, OpenOffice, HTMLFormEditor,
>

> Yes, it is nice to support a lot of editors, i.e. interfaces,
> however...
>

>>although it would be nice if Lenya would have to support only one
>>interface, e.g. WebDAV based.
>

> ...the cost (in terms of developer time) of maintaining all these
> interfaces has to be considered and it is definitely cheaper just one
> interface, e.g. WebDAV as you say.

If it would only boil down to load and save the content, yes it would be
easy, 'cause adding WebDAV, resp. PUT support into an editor is an easy
task, if not already done. But every editor needs some configuration, as
well. Therefore you still have to provide and maintain different
interfaces to each of them, meaning, the HTML produced to make the
editor work needs to be different (the thing which gets loaded, if you
click "Edit with Name-Your-Favourite-Editor" in the lenya authoring
menu) and of course could change as the editor progresses.

chregu

--
christian stocker | Bitflux GmbH | schoeneggstrasse 5 | ch-8004 zurich
phone +41 1 240 56 70 | mobile +41 76 561 88 60  | fax +41 1 240 56 71

Re: Editor Interfaces (Was: Proposal to remove Xopus and Bitflux Editor)

Posted by Christian Stocker <ch...@bitflux.ch>.

On 9/25/03 1:31 AM, Michael Wechner wrote:

> Christian Stocker wrote:
>

>> If it would only boil down to load and save the content, yes it would
>> be easy, 'cause adding WebDAV, resp. PUT support into an editor is an
>> easy task, if not already done. But every editor needs some
>> configuration, as well. Therefore you still have to provide and
>> maintain different interfaces to each of them, meaning, the HTML
>> produced to make the editor work needs to be different (the thing
>> which gets loaded, if you click "Edit with Name-Your-Favourite-Editor"
>> in the lenya authoring menu) and of course could change as the editor
>> progresses.
>

> right, but this needs to be done anyway, doesn't matter if the editor is
> integrated or not.

I (and I assume the other christian as well) were talking about
maintaining them (the interfaces) for different editors in the longer
term and not about doing "just" the initial integration.

chregu

Re: Editor Interfaces (Was: Proposal to remove Xopus and Bitflux Editor)

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org>.
Christian Stocker wrote:

> If it would only boil down to load and save the content, yes it would
> be easy, 'cause adding WebDAV, resp. PUT support into an editor is an
> easy task, if not already done. But every editor needs some
> configuration, as well. Therefore you still have to provide and
> maintain different interfaces to each of them, meaning, the HTML
> produced to make the editor work needs to be different (the thing
> which gets loaded, if you click "Edit with Name-Your-Favourite-Editor"
> in the lenya authoring menu) and of course could change as the editor
> progresses.

right, but this needs to be done anyway, doesn't matter if the editor is
integrated or not.

Another advantage of not integrating it, is that we can offer various
versions to install (e.g. stable or experimental),
but it would not make a lot of sense to integrate all these versions
into Lenya ...

Thanks

Michael