Posted to dev@fineract.apache.org by James Dailey <ja...@gmail.com> on 2018/09/10 18:31:26 UTC

Identity and Fineract

Hi Devs -

I'd like to raise an issue with regard to how Fineract 1.x and the new
Fineract-CN treats the concept of Identity.

I was recently looking at Isaac's work on
https://github.com/apache/fineract-cn-customer/pull/7/commits/65a88b9879a46103fae440c42d1b0058909a93aa
.
It got me thinking... I was unclear if the tests are fully covering our
functionality, and wonder about how we are collectively thinking about
identity.

So, there has been a lot of work done recently on Digital Identity and
Credentials globally.  I think we should have as part of our thinking and
structure of the identity service:

   1. Issuing authority (this could be any relevant civil authority such as
   Federal Government, State Department, Provincial Gov't), any private or
   non-profit but recognized entity (e.g. University), and also any commercial
   entity that has a pre-existing relationship including Bank, Mobile
   Provider, Microfinance Entity, or even Facebook/WeChat/Alibaba.
   When dealing with the unbanked, or underbanked, a form of digital
   identity may be self-issued or issued on the spot, and be trusted up to a
   point (see KYC below).

   2. Credentials and Forms of verification - this could be a separate
   concept in Fineract of [one to many] relationship where Fineract CN stores
   that information or simply notes that multiple sources of verification of
   identity or "claims" have been verified.  For example, a person my present
   a paper form from the local utility company showing they are a customer.
   Or, for example, a person may be verified by the mobile provider as being
   on that network with that specific IMEI (device) and that specific
   telephone number. I think it is important to treat such forms as security
   tokens (encrypted).

   3. Claims - there have been attempts at the W3C (world wide web
   consortium) related to the issue of verification of digital identity, to
   describe these as "claims" where an individual may have multiple sources in
   the formal and informal sectors by which they can claim identity.   I think
   of Claims as IssuingAuthority+Verified, but that may be
   oversimplification.  Please see
   https://www.w3.org/TR/verifiable-claims-use-cases/ .

   4. Relationship with KYC and AML/CFT - In Mifos and now in Fineract we
   have a set of requirements around the relationship between the validity of
   the identity against regulations dealing with "know your customer" and
   "anti-money-laundering" (inbound flows) and "counter the financing of
   terrorism" (outbound flows).  These requirements generally start with KYC
   where the levels are generally thought of as KYC-0 (e.g. we don't know much
   about them, but the authorities allow us to transact up to $300 per month),
   KYC-1, KYC-2, up to KYC-3 (e.g.they have a formal and verified identity
   credential from the national biometric system and they have up to the limit
   of banking rules)   In Fineract, I believe that what needs to be stored is
   the initial authorized level of KYC, the record of how much is expected to
   be transacted and then a calculated actual amount transacted so that
   exceptional transactions can be flagged, and the movement from one KYC
   level to another.  It is common in banking at least to have a SAR
   (Suspicious Activity Report) based on a comparison of expected transactions
   and actual.  The banking sector has been practicing this for a long time
   and rules are understood.

At OSCON we also learned about INDY, which is part of the Hyperledger
project, and deals with Identity using some new distributed ledger based
tools.  I think it would be interesting to create a proof of concept where
we link our identity service to the Indy code.
https://www.hyperledger.org/blog/2017/05/02/hyperledger-welcomes-project-indy
.   This builds out the concept of a globally accessible public utility for
decentralized identity.

What would be a useful next step on this?  Hoping for comments and
exploration of requirements.

Thanks,
James

Re: Identity and Fineract

Posted by Sendoro Juma <se...@singo.africa>.
+1

1. KYC | AML| CFT is FUNDAMENTAL/MUST HAVE
2. Mifos/Fineract should rely on External Identity-Claim Services

The above are very strategic point that must be worked on.

Please go ahead with with Wiki Page.

Cheers

Sendoro

Re: Identity and Fineract

Posted by James Dailey <ja...@gmail.com>.
Welcome Rachit - We really appreciate you taking this on.  You've already
done a lot of work on this.  Thanks.

Are you thinking we should make comments or suggested edits to the online
doc?  Currently it is set as "view only".

Here are some preliminary comments:

You should use one of the internationally accepted definitions of KYC and
other terms in your requirements.  I recommend the Glossary by the ITU,
published 2018.
e.g. "Know Your Customer:  The process of identifying a new customer at the
time of account opening, in compliance with law and regulation. The
identification requirements may be lower for low value accounts ("Tiered
KYC"). The term is also used in connection with regulatory requirements for
a provider to understand, on an ongoing basis, who their customer is and
how they are using their account."
https://www.itu.int/dms_pub/itu-t/opb/tut/T-TUT-ECOPO-2018-PDF-E.pdf
<https://www.itu.int/dms_pub/itu-t/opb/tut/T-TUT-ECOPO-2018-PDF-E.pdf>

Broadly, after reading the document, I wonder if there are adjustments to
the schemes or authorities and the kinds of use cases that are described.
For example, I don't think University Transcript is that useful for many
people, and wonder if something like SocialMedia claim or certificate would
be better?  The language is unclear on whether or not these are optional?
flexible?

In one of the use cases I read "get a loan for a car" (and being a climate
change guy immediately wanted to change that), and so, would suggest
instead: "get a loan for a Solar Home System" or "get a loan for an ebike"
or "get a loan for a new roof". Peace.

The P1 money transfer scenario - I think there is some overlap with our
existing efforts around payment flows, and we should not work at cross
purposes with this POC.  I think we should look at how the payment
processor handles the lookup via the claims and perhaps re-phrase some of
those requirements here.  @Edward Cable <ed...@mifos.org>  please comment
on this.

thanks - great start!!!

@jdailey67

Re: Identity and Fineract

Posted by Rachit Kansal <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Guys,

I have put the requirements on confluence:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=103093257

I have made some minor changes as rightly pointed out by James. Please feel
free to
add or discuss more details, this document should provide a starting point
from where
we can reach a detailed plan for the project and its scope.

*I checked your document and it seems you doing this work focused on
theIndian market? Are there use cases somewhere which the Indy project
hasbeen used?*
The document is not tailor made for indian market, i just cited some
examples. This
PoC would be generic and can be used anywhere. As part of Sovrin foundation
(which
uses Indy project), once you partner as a steward then the digital identity
capabilities
can be used.
Eg:
https://blog.sovrin.org/canadas-atb-financial-joins-sovrin-network-as-a-founding-steward-9d5ffc9d3fcd

*Have you looked at the current way Fineract and Fineract CN are
handlingKYC and identity? What are the short comings?*
I am not aware of how KYC is performed currently in Fineract CN and in
which workflows is it triggered. It would be great if you could point me to
some
resources here.

*As James noted, let me get your efforts synchronized with those
developersworking on payment and money transfer related use cases so no
efforts areduplicated and we can ensure that digital identify, verification
ofidentity claims, KYC, etc gets supported as needed to facilitate
paymentsuse cases.I will invite others in the community to participate in
this discussion.*
Yes this will be great. It would be also beneficial to have the developers
who have
built the current KYC solution (in Fineract, the existing flows) to be in
the loop since
they would have better ideas on how to proceed with the integration for the
purpose
of the PoC.

Rachit Kansal

Re: Identity and Fineract

Posted by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org>.
Rachit,

Re: Identity and Fineract

Posted by Awasum Yannick <aw...@apache.org>.
Hi Rachit,

Re: Identity and Fineract

Posted by Rachit Kansal <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi everyone,

Re: Identity and Fineract

Posted by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org>.

Re: Identity and Fineract

Posted by James Dailey <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: Identity and Fineract

Posted by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org>.
James,

Re: Identity and Fineract

Posted by Isaac Kamga <is...@mifos.org>.
Hello James,

Thank you for your insightful email.

I have been a fan of the Linux Foundation's Hyperledger project for a while
and I think the possibilities of blockchain are enormous.

When the community has a release of Fineract CN, I think it'll be
worthwhile to experiment with this integration. As a matter of fact, Myrle
Krantz has done some work on Fineract CN / Stellar bridge which can be very
useful for your proposal.

Here is my two penny worth on the topic.

Cheers,
Isaac Kamga.