Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by lbu <lb...@gmail.com> on 2014/01/03 10:35:11 UTC

karaf 3.0 : ShellTable question

Hi,
I've started playing with Karaf 3.0 (thanks for the Christmas gift) and I
have some questions related to ShellTable:

For most of the methods, the action is not in the name so you have
column(...),  separator(...), etc but this is not true for addRow:

    public Row addRow() {
        Row row = new Row();
        rows.add(row);
        return row;
    }

Is there any reason?

For my own needs, I've also created an EnhancedShellTable which let you to:
- set-up columns in the constructor

    public EnhancedShellTable(String... columns) {
        super();
        for(String column : columns) {
            super.column(column);
        }
    }

- add and fill a row with a single method

    public void row(Object... content) {
        addRow().addContent(content);
    }

Would it be possible to add them to ShellTable?

Regards,
Luca

Re: karaf 3.0 : ShellTable question

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Luca,

Thanks for the proposal and it makes sense.

I gonna create a Jira to do it.

Regards
JB

On 01/03/2014 10:35 AM, lbu wrote:
> Hi,
> I've started playing with Karaf 3.0 (thanks for the Christmas gift) and I
> have some questions related to ShellTable:
>
> For most of the methods, the action is not in the name so you have
> column(...),  separator(...), etc but this is not true for addRow:
>
>      public Row addRow() {
>          Row row = new Row();
>          rows.add(row);
>          return row;
>      }
>
> Is there any reason?
>
> For my own needs, I've also created an EnhancedShellTable which let you to:
> - set-up columns in the constructor
>
>      public EnhancedShellTable(String... columns) {
>          super();
>          for(String column : columns) {
>              super.column(column);
>          }
>      }
>
> - add and fill a row with a single method
>
>      public void row(Object... content) {
>          addRow().addContent(content);
>      }
>
> Would it be possible to add them to ShellTable?
>
> Regards,
> Luca

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: karaf 3.0 : ShellTable question

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Christian,

+1 to deprecate the "old" addRow method and update to the new one.

Regards
JB

> Hi Luca,
>
> I think my original idea was that all methods with just a subject as
> name were thought to return Shelltable so they could be chained.
> As this is already not the case for column it is not consistent though.
>
> So I think it makes sense to add a new method Row row() and also Row
> row(Object... content).
>
> Should we deprecated the old addRow method to avoid duplication and show
> people how to use the interface?
> Btw. I would also like to adapt the tests to reflect the main way to use
> Shelltable.
>
> Christian
>

> Am 03.01.2014 10:35, schrieb lbu:
>> Hi,
>> I've started playing with Karaf 3.0 (thanks for the Christmas gift) and I
>> have some questions related to ShellTable:
>>
>> For most of the methods, the action is not in the name so you have
>> column(...),  separator(...), etc but this is not true for addRow:
>>      public Row addRow() {
>>          Row row = new Row();
>>          rows.add(row);
>>          return row;
>>      }
>>
>> Is there any reason?
>>
>> For my own needs, I've also created an EnhancedShellTable which let
>> you to:
>> - set-up columns in the constructor
>>      public EnhancedShellTable(String... columns) {
>>          super();
>>          for(String column : columns) {
>>              super.column(column);
>>          }
>>      }
>>
>> - add and fill a row with a single method
>>
>>      public void row(Object... content) {
>>          addRow().addContent(content);
>>      }
>>
>> Would it be possible to add them to ShellTable?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Luca
>>

>> --

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: karaf 3.0 : ShellTable question

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
Hi Luca,

I think my original idea was that all methods with just a subject as
name were thought to return Shelltable so they could be chained.
As this is already not the case for column it is not consistent though.

So I think it makes sense to add a new method Row row() and also Row
row(Object... content).

Should we deprecated the old addRow method to avoid duplication and show
people how to use the interface?
Btw. I would also like to adapt the tests to reflect the main way to use
Shelltable.

Christian

Am 03.01.2014 10:35, schrieb lbu:
> Hi,
> I've started playing with Karaf 3.0 (thanks for the Christmas gift) and I
> have some questions related to ShellTable:
>
> For most of the methods, the action is not in the name so you have
> column(...),  separator(...), etc but this is not true for addRow:
>
>      public Row addRow() {
>          Row row = new Row();
>          rows.add(row);
>          return row;
>      }
>
> Is there any reason?
>
> For my own needs, I've also created an EnhancedShellTable which let you to:
> - set-up columns in the constructor
>
>      public EnhancedShellTable(String... columns) {
>          super();
>          for(String column : columns) {
>              super.column(column);
>          }
>      }
>
> - add and fill a row with a single method
>
>      public void row(Object... content) {
>          addRow().addContent(content);
>      }
>
> Would it be possible to add them to ShellTable?
>
> Regards,
> Luca

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de