Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Jörg Hoh <jh...@googlemail.com.INVALID> on 2022/06/22 10:32:24 UTC

Releases out of the whiteboard repo?

Hi,

I am interested in a 0.x release of the jmx-exporter I contributed some
time back in the Sling Whiteboard Repository (
https://github.com/apache/sling-whiteboard/tree/master/jmx-exporter).
Adobe's policy requires me to use only a released version of it, when I
want to use it.

This feature is quite small, and I put it into the Whiteboard, because
there was no other Sling repository where this feature should belong to. I
started a vote and cancelled it when Robert pointed me to the policy of the
whiteboard not to do any releases.

Is there any advice how to proceed with it? I am not sure if I should
request a dedicated repository for it ("sling-jmx-exporter"), because it's
really a tiny function. Doing a release on the whiteboard would have solved
my requirement perfectly, especially it does not have reached the maturity
of a 1.0 version yet (that would have been part of the learnings from using
a 0.x version).

--
Cheers,
Jörg Hoh,

https://cqdump.joerghoh.de
Twitter: @joerghoh

Re: Releases out of the whiteboard repo?

Posted by Oliver Lietz <ap...@oliverlietz.de>.
On Wednesday, 22 June 2022 13:58:17 CEST Robert Munteanu wrote:
> On Wed, 2022-06-22 at 12:37 +0200, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Le mer. 22 juin 2022 à 12:32, Jörg Hoh
> >
> > <jh...@googlemail.com.invalid> a écrit :
> > > ...I am not sure if I should
> > > request a dedicated repository for it ("sling-jmx-exporter"),
> > > because it's
> > > really a tiny function...
> >
> > Unless you can include that function in an existing module I have no
> > problem with small repositories - we know how to handle those.
>
> +1
>
> > > ...Doing a release on the whiteboard would have solved
> > > my requirement perfectly...
> >
> > I think it's good to keep the whiteboard for (often wildly)
> > experimental things, and releasing from there might cause confusion.
>
> +1 as well.
>
> A small note, the repositories are supposed to be based on the artifact
> ids, which for OSGi bundles are include the org.apache.sling prefix.
>
> Looking at [1] I see 'whiteboard' in the group id, package names, and
> description, which does not look right. We need to figure this out
> before creating the Git repo.

+1

O.

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Jörg Hoh <jh...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
Hi,

to conclude this thread: I think that it's probably best to move this
functionality into the Sling Metrics Bundle. In the end it's a feature to
expose already existing information as metrics, and in my opinion it's a
good fit there.

Jörg

Am Mi., 22. Juni 2022 um 12:32 Uhr schrieb Jörg Hoh <jhoh228@googlemail.com

--