Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2006/02/19 10:42:03 UTC

[lang] doesn't build on Java 5

Hi all,

vmgump has switched to Java 5 (some will say finally) and commons-lang
fails there.  The reason are accented characters in Entities.java.

Starting with Java 5 you have to specify the source file encoding to
javac explicitly if you want to reach beyond ASCII (I'm not sure
whether this is a bug or an intentional feature).

I see two options, either user \uABCD escapes or specify
encoding="ISO-8859-1" (or whatever) to your Ant javac task (not sure
how to do that for Maven).

Stefan

Re: [lang] doesn't build on Java 5

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 20 Feb 2006, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> I don't know how I missed the "warning: " text on those :)

Hmm, so did I.

> I don't actually get the encoding warning on my machine.

I think vmgump's native encoding is UTF-8 while the source files are
ISO-8859-1.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
I don't know how I missed the "warning: " text on those :) I don't
actually get the encoding warning on my machine.

I've fixed the inner class references.

- Brett

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.