Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Neil Graham <ne...@ca.ibm.com> on 2003/11/18 21:28:02 UTC

[VOTE]: next Xerces-J release (2.6.0) tomorrow

Hi folks,

As the message below makes clear, the Apache Board is interested in
ensuring that there is a process in place by which XML sub-projects can
demonstrate that there is consensus within their communities about
releases.  I think we have consensus in this community that it's about time
for a new Xerces-J release, and that tomorrow is a good day for it; but it
looks like it would be prudent if we formalized things.

So here's my +1 for Xerces-J 2.6.0 to be released tomorrow (or Thursday, if
a delay is needed).

Cheers,
Neil
Neil Graham
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
Phone:  905-413-3519, T/L 969-3519
E-mail:  neilg@ca.ibm.com

----- Forwarded by Neil Graham/Toronto/IBM on 11/18/2003 03:20 PM -----

                      Berin Lautenbach
                      <berin@ozemail.co        To:       general@xml.apache.org
                      m.au>                    cc:       XML PMC <pm...@xml.apache.org>
                                               Subject:  Re: XML PMC and Oversight
                      11/18/2003 05:44
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      general

G'day all,

As some of you may be aware, we asked the board to comment on how
involved the XML PMC should be in releases being made by the XML
sub-projects.  This was discussed at the board meeting, and Dirk came
back with the response below (which is being forwarded in line with his
OK in the 2nd last para).

The basic thrust is that the PMC needs to have more active oversite of
all code being committed and released within XML.

Dirk has given two suggestions

- grow the PMC and split into sub-groups, with each sub-group having
responsibility around code and releases of a nominated subset of
sub-projects; or

- getting the current PMC more involved in releases and code commits of
the sub-projects.  This might involve formal review e-mail lists etc.

There are other options, and it may be that no single option makes sense
for all sub-projects.  For example Xerces(C/J/P) probably has enough
active committers to grow PMC membership to 4-6, who could provide
direct oversite and report back to the broader PMC.  (Does that make it
a TLP I wonder :>.)

That approach won't work for xml-commons or xml-security who have fairly
low numbers of people, so maybe we need to aggregate a few together for
review purposes.  (Note that this would not imply a visible aggregation
- they would still be separate in terms of names etc.)

Anyway - the above are just musings for the moment.  Am *very*
interested in seeing all suggestions.  I am happy to write something up
as a response to the board, and write up any processes we think are
necessary, but I think we need a full discussion by all xml@
committers/contributors here in general@ first.

As a final thought - whatever we do, we need to think about how we
minimise overhead on all concerned, whilst ensuring we are meeting the
expectations of the board.

Cheers,
             Berin

Re: [VOTE]: next Xerces-J release (2.6.0) tomorrow

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Venu wrote:

> here is my +1.

Hey - you guys worked the procedure out - a release backed by three
explicit +1's by your peers.

But yes - to confirm - this is the sort of explicitness we where looking
for.

Posted by Venu <K....@Sun.COM>.
here is my +1.
-venu

Posted by Neeraj Bajaj <Ne...@Sun.COM>.
+1.

Regards,
Neeraj

Neil Graham wrote:

> [...]
>>xml.apache.org continue to exist.
>>
>>But as said above - that is just one suggestion - other options could
>>revolve around the current PMC but having very regular well documented
>>review sessions. But the key property of any solution is that we, as the
>>board, want to 'see' realistic acitve oversight happening.
>>
>>So what we expect from you folks is think this over - feel free to move
>
> it
>
>>to general@ and/or your committer if you feel that is a more appropriate
>>venue - and ideally create a position by the next board meeting, or the
>>januari board meeting by the latest.
>>
>>And again - do not take any of the above as a vote of no convidence, we
>>are at this point not seriously worried - but we do want to see how we
>
> can
>
>>improve things long term and make things better.

-- Neeraj

Re: [VOTE]: next Xerces-J release (2.6.0) tomorrow

Posted by Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>.
Neil Graham wrote:
> So here's my +1 for Xerces-J 2.6.0 to be released tomorrow (or Thursday, if
> a delay is needed).

Since Elena's proposed initialization change was
done in a non-breaking way, I give my full support
for the new release. :)

+1

--
Andy Clark * andyc@apache.org

Re: [VOTE]: next Xerces-J release (2.6.0) tomorrow

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@apache.org>.
Here's my +1.