Posted to dev@openjpa.apache.org by Gokhan Ergul <go...@telenity.com> on 2007/04/30 19:30:18 UTC

Incorrect handling of cascading bidirectional collections during merge/attach

Hey there,

I'm having a problem merging an entity, here's the simplified structure:

Class A {
    @OneToMany(cascade=CascadeType.ALL, mappedBy="parent")
    Set<B> b_set;
}

Class B {
    @ManyToOne
    A parent;

    @OneToMany(cascade=CascadeType.ALL, mappedBy="parent")
    Set<C> c_set;
}

Class C {
    @ManyToOne
    B parent;
}

New instances of A,B,C are persisted correctly. However when I retrieve
A, add some entries to A.b_set (with some of the new B entries have
attached C's), em.merge(A) fails:

- If A is detached:

	org.apache.openjpa.persistence.ArgumentException: Encountered new object "B@..." in persistent field "C.parent" of managed object "C@..." during attach.  However, this field does not allow cascade attach.  You cannot attach a reference to a new object without cascading.

- If A is not detached:

          C instances are inserted before B instances, resulting in a
foreign key violation.

Setting openjpa.jdbc.SchemaFactory to 'native(ForeignKeys=true)' does
not seem to have an effect.

The actual test case I've hit this is rather complex, but I can post a
JIRA with a simplified test case if you guys want.

Any comments?

Thanks,

Gokhan.