Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org> on 2015/11/02 19:00:40 UTC

Re: [Result][VOTE] Graduate Apache Kylin from the Apache Incubator

Sorry, I missed this email.

No, votes don't automatically convert, at least not in my case.

After my vote was added, there was a release vote of Kylin which raised new
licensing issues.  I wouldn't expect a graduating podling to still have
licensing issues.

John

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
Good catch, thanks for clarifying.

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
+1 for doing v1.1.1  to avoid re-use release version.

- Henry

Posted by Luke Han <lu...@gmail.com>.
Thanks John. really happy to have your +1 vote :)

Best Regards!
---------------------

Luke Han

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Luke Han <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luke Han <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Luke Han <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi there,

Posted by Luke Han <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Luke Han <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
There's information about attribution from google fonts.

https://www.google.com/fonts/attribution

Posted by Luke Han <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Luke Han <lu...@gmail.com>.
Make sense, v1.1.1 is good one.

Will kickoff soon.

Thanks.

Best Regards!
---------------------

Luke Han

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Luke Han <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
    The 1.x-staging branch is main development one for latest code base,
and the master branch is latest stable one which may delayed merge from the
development one, refer to the doc [1]:
    ** master: always point to the latest stable release (stable, but not
up to date)*

    The KYLIN3-1095 [2] is opened try to updated the AdminLTE to latest
version and remove such google fonts.

    A new release could be kicked off today with such commits for KYLIN-999
to make sure there's no such issue, and merge changes to all branches. To
keep things simple, the new release will continue mark as v1.1 since
there's no much code changes.

    Please feel free to let's know your inputs and comments.

    Thanks.

[1] http://kylin.incubator.apache.org/development/howto_contribute.html
[2]. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KYLIN-1095

Best Regards!
---------------------

Luke Han

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
I stand corrected.

I now agree that kylin-1.1-incubating has a licensing issue.

I must say, it did not help that KYLIN-999 was marked "fixed in 1.1"
and the innocuous-looking KYLIN-1095 opened in its place.

I think Kylin needs to have a clean release, with no licensing issues,
before graduation.

Julian

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Thanks Justin, I was going to respond similarly but wanted to get the mail
link as well.

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201510.mbox/%3C28A8C932-7B8D-492D-9934-389751E0CAFB%40classsoftware.com%3E

John

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Posted by Luke Han <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi John,
     Will do and send to board with this adjustment.
     Thank  you very much.

Luke

Best Regards!
---------------------

Luke Han

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Hi Luke,

Posted by Luke Han <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi John,

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
Kylin did have successful releases without licensing issue: 0.7.1 and 0.7.2.

Especially with 0.7.1, the community did another re-VOTE to address
Justin concern about license issue:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201506.mbox/%3cCAKmQrObLERr-Kuv+qtbm2LLxaB+qu6g2xOZ_gVUSP9AoWb_Mcg@mail.gmail.com%3e

As one of the mentors of the project that been work closely with the
community, I think the community is ready to graduate more than others
we have let graduated before.
Also, the proposed PMCs have several members of the ASF that could
help the community keep growing and learning as part of top level
project in Apache.

I hope this would  help convince John to change his mind about Kylin
readiness to graduate.

- Henry

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
Hi David,

It was a mis-step of not filing SGA early, but I the issue just being
brought up after several releases had been made and being +1 voted to
go on.

I don't there is nothing we could do to un-do the existing releases.
But the error has been fixed and other than that I do not see any
other concern.
It was the error from the mentors that forgot to remind to send SGA.

The community had been operated in the open and following the Apache way.
I believe they are ready to graduate.

John's comment, even though it is valid, has been addressed completely.

- Henry

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.