Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> on 2004/02/20 15:37:59 UTC

Re: [VOTE] 1.2.0 Release Plan

Assuming it was all right with everyone, I'm setting the freeze date for 1.2.0 for tomorrow (Saturday) night.

I'm updating the release plan. There are still a lot of enhancement patches that we haven't applied, but I think those can wait for later in the 1.2.x series. I do intend to start marching down that list and either accepting or declining whatever patches people have submitted. So, I'm commenting out that section for the purpose of this release.

All the other criteria have been met, and I believe we are ready to go.

Martin, would you be able to take it from there, or is there any thing else I can do?

-Ted.

Re: [VOTE] 1.2.0 Release Plan

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.
At 9:37 AM -0500 2/20/04, Ted Husted wrote:
>Assuming it was all right with everyone, I'm setting the freeze date
>for 1.2.0 for tomorrow (Saturday) night.
>
>I'm updating the release plan. There are still a lot of enhancement
>patches that we haven't applied, but I think those can wait for
>later in the 1.2.x series. I do intend to start marching down that
>list and either accepting or declining whatever patches people have
>submitted. So, I'm commenting out that section for the purpose of
>this release.
>
>All the other criteria have been met, and I believe we are ready to go.
>
>Martin, would you be able to take it from there, or is there any
>thing else I can do?

How do we relate the contrib packages to the release?  Do we consider
them part of the release?  When I made a change to the Javascript tag
class, and dealt with the struts-el ripples, I found that at the
time, the EL tests weren't building against the nightly build because
they imported ApplicationConfig, which has been removed.  I fixed
that, but it made me wonder about this general question.

I don't want to hold things up at all, but I'm wondering if we want
to do at least a little checking of contrib packages against official
Struts releases?  We could set this as a future goal to avoid
delaying 1.2.0, and maybe it's not even a goal -- but I thought I'd
ask.

Joe

--
Joe Germuska
Joe@Germuska.com

Re: [VOTE] 1.2.0 Release Plan

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
> contrib

Personally, I've been defining what is released by what is generated by the release target. :)

For Struts 1.1, Struts-El was released coincident with the Struts 1.1 release, but they were separate events. If someone wants to also roll a struts-el release, or struts-jsf release, please proceed. But I wouldn't feel qualified to do that myself (since I'm not a user of those packages).

Moving past 1.2.0, we might want to create a "opt" or "optional" products with their own release cycles, such as struts-opt-el, struts-opt-jsf, and struts-opt-taglib (for the rest). These could be their own Maven artifacts, each dependant on the struts-core project (being what is under share now).

Likewise, we might want to setup a struts-apps product and distribute the bundled applications as artifacts of that.

> dependencies

If there are new releases of some of our dependencies, then we should move to those. AFIAC, this should happen as soon as anyone is aware of a new final release.

> ASL 2.0

If someone wants to switch the licenses now, please feel free. But it's not something I would have time to do myself right now.

> Cactus

I've never gotten the Cactus tests to run, so I don't even try anymore. If they aren't running, and no one can fix them, then we should take them out.

-Ted.

Re: [VOTE] 1.2.0 Release Plan

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.
At 1:49 PM -0600 2/20/04, Joe Germuska wrote:
>>  > Just a few things:
>>>
>>>  * What about the new Apache license? Technically, it doesn't need to
>>>  change if we release before March 1st, but we're mighty close to that,
>>>  so
>>  > perhaps we should switch now?
>
>+1 from me too; wasn't someone offering to do it a few weeks ago?

I should amend this: + 0 from me; I don't have time to do it now, and
probably won't soon enough that I'd want to delay 1.2.0 until it gets
done.

Joe

RE: [VOTE] 1.2.0 Release Plan

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

I don't get that far. The problem I have is not that the tests fail, but
that they do not run at all. After I invoke the target, everything seems to
start up OK, but then it just sits there doing nothing. I'd really like to
get past that point, if anyone has any ideas...

--
Martin Cooper

Re: [VOTE] 1.2.0 Release Plan

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.

Re: [VOTE] 1.2.0 Release Plan

Posted by David Graham <gr...@yahoo.com>.
--- Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Ted Husted wrote:
>
> > Assuming it was all right with everyone, I'm setting the freeze date
> for 1.2.0 for tomorrow (Saturday) night.
> >
> > I'm updating the release plan. There are still a lot of enhancement
> patches that we haven't applied, but I think those can wait for later in
> the 1.2.x series. I do intend to start marching down that list and
> either accepting or declining whatever patches people have submitted.
> So, I'm commenting out that section for the purpose of this release.
> >
> > All the other criteria have been met, and I believe we are ready to
> go.
> >
> > Martin, would you be able to take it from there, or is there any thing
> else I can do?
>
> Just a few things:
>
> * What about the new Apache license? Technically, it doesn't need to
> change if we release before March 1st, but we're mighty close to that,
> so
> perhaps we should switch now?

+1

> * There was a brief discussion not too long ago about whether we should
> be
> building this release against released versions of Commons components or
> the nighlies. Since, in theory at least, this release could be promoted
> a Final release, I assume the former?

At this point I don't see any reason to ever build against commons
nightlies unless we're using some unreleased feature.  IMO, Struts
shouldn't use unreleased commons features because we'll end up in a 1.1
situation where we're waiting for commons releases.  The exception would
be for alpha releases like Validator where it only needs testing before
getting a GA label.

> Several of the Commons components
> we
> depend on have released since we last did, so we may want to update the
> versions in our dependency list.

Collections is a particularly ugly situation.  Do we upgrade to 3.0 and
break existing Struts apps requiring 2.x?  Or, do we stay at 2.x and break
 apps needing 3.0?

David

Re: [VOTE] 1.2.0 Release Plan

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Ted Husted wrote:

> Assuming it was all right with everyone, I'm setting the freeze date for 1.2.0 for tomorrow (Saturday) night.
>
> I'm updating the release plan. There are still a lot of enhancement patches that we haven't applied, but I think those can wait for later in the 1.2.x series. I do intend to start marching down that list and either accepting or declining whatever patches people have submitted. So, I'm commenting out that section for the purpose of this release.
>
> All the other criteria have been met, and I believe we are ready to go.
>
> Martin, would you be able to take it from there, or is there any thing else I can do?

Just a few things:

* What about the new Apache license? Technically, it doesn't need to
change if we release before March 1st, but we're mighty close to that, so
perhaps we should switch now?

* There was a brief discussion not too long ago about whether we should be
building this release against released versions of Commons components or
the nighlies. Since, in theory at least, this release could be promoted to
a Final release, I assume the former? Several of the Commons components we