Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by rb...@covalent.net on 2001/02/11 21:26:09 UTC

Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/tls Makefile.in README config.m4

>   Clean up the mod_tls configure process.  This should remove most, if not
>   all, of the hand-editing required to make mod_tls compile.  I have also
>   updated the README to reflect the current process.  I have also noted that
>   we require OpenSSL 0.9.6 to compile.  I am getting all sorts of warnings
>   from the OpenSSL header files, and I get a single error from the OpenSSL
>   libraries, but I am assuming that is a problem with my configuration,
>   not the mod_tls code.

Ben, could you please edit the README to explain how to configure OpenSSL
for a successful compile with mod_tls, and check what I did to make sure
it makes sense.

Thanks

Ryan
406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131

Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/tls Makefile.in README config.m4

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Ben Laurie wrote:

> Ben Laurie wrote:

> > > Ben, could you please edit the README to explain how to configure OpenSSL
> > > for a successful compile with mod_tls, and check what I did to make sure
> > > it makes sense.
> >
> > Hmm. The issue is that you have to give the right flags to the headers
> > that openssl_state_machine.c includes - which is why I had the target
> > for that with a zillion flags which you blew away!
> >
> > I suspect that OpenSSL ought to have a gadget that supplies the flags it
> > was compiled with (or, at least, the defines).
>
> Hmm. I'll take that back - it compiled fine for me - what errors did you
> get?

On second thoughts, I'll agree with your original problem. Bottom line
is that OpenSSL simply won't compile with the standard options we use. I
certainly agree it should, but that's a large pile of work (a _really_
large pile). So, it isn't going to in the foreseeable future.

This means we need a way to tone down the warnings for just that one
source file (there will be more that need OpenSSL headers soon, so this
needs to be general purpose).

Cheers,

Ben.

--
http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html

Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/tls Makefile.in README config.m4

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.

Posted by rb...@covalent.net.
> > > Ben, could you please edit the README to explain how to configure OpenSSL
> > > for a successful compile with mod_tls, and check what I did to make sure
> > > it makes sense.
> >
> > Hmm. The issue is that you have to give the right flags to the headers
> > that openssl_state_machine.c includes - which is why I had the target
> > for that with a zillion flags which you blew away!
> >
> > I suspect that OpenSSL ought to have a gadget that supplies the flags it
> > was compiled with (or, at least, the defines).
>
> Hmm. I'll take that back - it compiled fine for me - what errors did you
> get?

/bin/sh /home/rbb/temp/httpd-2.0/libtool --silent --mode=link gcc
-I. -I/home/rbb/temp/httpd-2.0/support
-I/home/rbb/temp/httpd-2.0/server/mpm/mpmt_pthread
-I/home/rbb/temp/httpd-2.0/include
-I/home/rbb/temp/httpd-2.0/srclib/apr/include
-I/home/rbb/temp/httpd-2.0/srclib/apr-util/include
-I/home/rbb/openssl-0.9.6/include -I/home/rbb/temp/httpd-2.0/os/unix
-I/home/rbb/temp/httpd-2.0/srclib/expat-lite  -D_REENTRANT -DLINUX=2 -g
-Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations
-DAP_DEBUG -pthread -pthread  -export-dynamic -export-dynamic
-export-dynamic -export-dynamic -export-dynamic -export-dynamic   -o
htpasswd htpasswd.lo  ../srclib/apr-util/libaprutil.la
../srclib/apr/libapr.la -lnsl -lnsl -lnsl -L/home/rbb/openssl-0.9.6 -lssl
-lcrypto -lm -lcrypt -lnsl -ldl
/home/rbb/openssl-0.9.6/libcrypto.a(fcrypt.o): In function `des_fcrypt':
fcrypt.o(.text+0xcc): undefined reference to `fcrypt_body'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I am using openssl-0.9.6, which I downloaded this morning.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.